View Single Post
      06-09-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Launches App to Automate Home Charging Process for BMW i Electric Vehicles

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW Launches App to Automate the Home Charging Process for BMW i Electric Vehicles
COMMENTS
Name:  P90152597-highRes.jpg
Views: 3896
Size:  91.5 KB

BMW Launches First App to Automate the Home Charging Process for BMW i Electric Vehicles.

June 9, 2014

BMW Smart Charging App Determines Optimal Times for Charging Electric Vehicles Based on Rates and Calculates Cost.

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – June 9, 2014…
The new BMW Smart Charging App makes it possible for BMW i customers to automatically identify the best rates and times for charging their electric vehicles at home. Developed by the BMW Group and available for Android and iOS devices, the BMW Smart Charging App is integrated with the BMW i Remote App, which allows drivers to get vehicle information via their smartphone. The BMW Smart Charging App has the potential to save customers as much as $400 annually on their electric bills. BMW is the first automotive manufacturer to offer this automated and fully integrated functionality.

In its initial phase, the BMW Smart Charging App is currently available to BMW Electronauts. Electronauts are electric vehicle enthusiasts who leased a BMW ActiveE as part of the company’s field trial which began in 2012, many of whom were among the first in the U.S. to take delivery of a BMW i3. Through a direct connection to a national energy rate database hosted by BMW Group partner, software company Genability, BMW i3 drivers will be able to automate their charging strategy in advance for daily and weekly use. They can also check their energy rates in this database, determine the optimal times to charge their vehicles and get transparency over the charging costs.

“By automating the at-home charging planning process with the BMW Smart Charging App, we are offering BMW i customers greater convenience and helping them conserve energy while maximizing their cost savings,” said Jose Guerrero, Product Manager and U.S. Product Planning and Strategy for BMW i, BMW of North America.

By linking the BMW ConnectedDrive interface through the BMW i Remote App, customers can also precondition their BMW i3 vehicles’ temperature, see their vehicle status, view actual charging times and related costs, and adjust and disable their charging settings remotely.

“BMW is dedicated to improving the at-home charging experience for customers so they can best optimize their electric vehicles for daily use. The BMW Smart Charging App provides BMW i3 drivers with an easy-to-use app that is integrated with the vehicle,” said Julian Lienich, Project Lead, BMW Group.

The BMW Smart Charging App will be available to all BMW i3 and BMW i8 customers in the U.S. in 2015.

Name:  P90152596-highRes.jpg
Views: 3733
Size:  93.7 KB

Name:  P90152597-highRes.jpg
Views: 3896
Size:  91.5 KB

Appreciate 0