11-16-2013, 08:11 PM   #12
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
...the stock vehicle can do level 1 and 2 charging out of the box...to get level 3, requires an option.

Level 1 - time for full charge about 8-hours
Level 2 - time for full charge about 3-hours
Level 3 - time for full charge about 30-minutes

Obviously, if your battery isn't discharged all the way, your times should be shorter, maybe a lot shorter.

Just my opinion, Level 3 is what should be the Level 12 maximum charge time. It's just like BMW to offer as an option something that should be standard. You may recall that the E9x cars had Bluetooth phone connectivity as an option back in 2006/7, despite the fact that the safety risks associated with non-hands-free phone calls were well understood.

I think most folks could probably stand to be "stuck" somewhere for 30 minutes while their car charges -- mall, restaurant, gym, doctor's office, grocery store, etc. Three hours is just too long, and eight is just nuts, even if there were charging stations everywhere just as gas stations are.

I think too that it's ironic that Level 3 charging uses the form of electricity that T. A. Edison promoted years and years ago. I wonder what the electricity suppliers' method is to overcome Ohm's Law?
(http://www.pump-zone.com/topics/moto...us-dc/page/0/1)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0