05-06-2014, 02:32 PM   #35
ultraturtle
newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 REx

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ. View Post
A couple whiners post and a thread about tuning potential is completely HIGHJACKED. ...

I really like the idea of a car like the i3 that is very small, nimble, and fun to race around the city in. I just want it to fit my broader need of having real travel functionality. Tweaks associated with that could make it more appealing.
My apology for being one of those guilty of feeding the hijack.

The two performance tweaks most desired by the sort of folks interested in an i3 probably have nothing to do with acceleration or corning ability. I suggest that they are the ability to easily engage the REx prior to ~ 6% useable battery state of charge, and greater fuel tank capacity for purchasers in the USA (the rest of the world already have these.)

I have it on good authority that the first is an easy fix that has already been worked out.

The second might require the purchase of a non-USA spec fuel tank, but I believe the more likely tweak would be to simply remove a plug that I am guessing BMW engineered to reduce the tank capacity from 2.4 to 1.9 gallons. If it is part of the circular bulkhead cap shown in this diagram, it should be an easy swap for the non-USA part:

Appreciate 0