View Single Post
      04-23-2014, 03:54 PM   #24
SickFinga
Captain
Rep
Drives: *

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
Interesting. I can understand different standards organizations having slightly different ratings, but in this case, wouldn't the individual ratings of the electric motor and the Turbo-3 in the i8 also be different?

The i8 (according to the bmwusa.com i8 page) has a 231hp Turbo-3 motor, and a 131hp electric motor. The combined output is 357hp. All 3 specs are listed on the US site so I would imagine are all SAE. That's why I thought peaks. I can't remember where I read that, though.
They just copied/pasted the text from the International release that uses European figures. Look here
http://www.bmw.co.uk/en_GB/new-vehic...fficiency.html

it says

Quote:
Powerful plug-in hybrid system
The intelligent plug-in hybrid system in the BMW i8 combines the benefits of an electric motor and a petrol engine into an extraordinary driving experience, where the highest efficiency and maximum dynamics are simultaneously possible. The electric drive, a powerful 131 hp (96 kW), is located on the front axle. The rear axle is driven by an authoritative BMW TwinPower Turbo 1.5-litre three-cylinder petrol engine with 231 hp (170 kW) of peak performance and up to 320 Nm of torque. Combined with the electrical boost of the hybrid system, it guarantees typical BMW driving pleasure.
96kw = 131hp DIN = 129hp SAE
170kw = 231hp DIN = 228hp SAE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
Europeans also don't include the power drain of accessories/belts in their measurements. Which is becoming moot since things like steering, A/C, etc are being separated from their direct connections to the engine.
Sure they do. In fact, Europeans were using the accessories when measuring HP for much longer than Americans. Before 1972 US and Canada used gross HP.

Last edited by SickFinga; 04-23-2014 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0