04-27-2024, 08:59 AM   #8067
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
It's just a none issue for me. Fortunately I have other cars if I had the need to start driving cross country and for my regular driving it has more range than I ever come close to using. I even charge with the slow 110v charger and that's plenty for me. Most days I don't even go anywhere or drive maybe less than 5 miles.
I have several other cars too; all are different from each other. But I look at my cars independently from each other, as if I just need a single-car fleet. I had a hellacious commute for 15 years, which required at least two cars in case one was down for maintenance. The others are my wife's cars (mine really - I maintain and fuel them) we've collected over the years (read as not gotten rid of). In reality, I could get rid of three of my cars and not lose a 100% use case. I should just keep the 4-door pickup and one other car for downtime for the truck when it's under maintenance. But I'm not that smart, or probably just an addicted car-guy. It's an affliction - I'm on the spectrum...

So, looking at an EV as independent and a single-car use case, I just couldn't deal with the road-trip charging scenario, even if it was using Tesla's network, because Tesla's network is not everywhere; it is not ubiquitous like the gasoline station network. Waiting 40 minutes to gain some 150 miles of range in the winter on a road trip would not be tolerable for me. And planning routes around charging stations, even as easy as Tesla makes it, is still a PITA from my point of view. With an ICEV, fuel planning is: wait-until-the-fuel-tank-is-at-40-miles-until-empty-and-decide-which-gas-station-to-stop-at-to-refuel, anywhere in the USA. I understand the majority EV use case being charge at home and drive 30 miles a day. Great, but an EV doesn't standalone for me as a full-use (case) vehicle.

I think most of the market thinks this same way, ICEV is just more convenient. 5-minute refuels and no range loss due to seasonal changes fits everyone's use case. Private at-home charging can be great, but not everyone in the market has that; I'd say most of the market doesn't. For me, like for this morning, I'd have to walk over to my barn - where I have 240V electricity and can setup a home L2 charger - 3-minutes in the pouring rain. F that.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 04-27-2024 at 09:27 AM..
Appreciate 4
M5Rick60869.00
eugenebmw1550.50