04-27-2024, 11:04 AM   #8073
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I have several other cars too; all are different from each other. But I look at my cars independently from each other, as if I just need a single-car fleet. I had a hellacious commute for 15 years, which required at least two cars in case one was down for maintenance. The others are my wife's cars (mine really - I maintain and fuel them) we've collected over the years (read as not gotten rid of). In reality, I could get rid of three of my cars and not lose a 100% use case. I should just keep the 4-door pickup and one other car for downtime for the truck when it's under maintenance. But I'm not that smart, or probably just an addicted car-guy. It's an affliction - I'm on the spectrum...

So, looking at an EV as independent and a single-car use case, I just couldn't deal with the road-trip charging scenario, even if it was using Tesla's network, because Tesla's network is not everywhere; it is not ubiquitous like the gasoline station network. Waiting 40 minutes to gain some 150 miles of range in the winter on a road trip would not be tolerable for me. And planning routes around charging stations, even as easy as Tesla makes it, is still a PITA from my point of view. With an ICEV, fuel planning is: wait-until-the-fuel-tank-is-at-40-miles-until-empty-and-decide-which-gas-station-to-stop-at-to-refuel, anywhere in the USA. I understand the majority EV use case being charge at home and drive 30 miles a day. Great, but an EV doesn't standalone for me as a full-use (case) vehicle.

I think most of the market thinks this same way, ICEV is just more convenient. 5-minute refuels and no range loss due to seasonal changes fits everyone's use case. Private at-home charging can be great, but not everyone in the market has that; I'd say most of the market doesn't. For me, like for this morning, I'd have to walk over to my barn - where I have 240V electricity and can setup a home L2 charger - 3-minutes in the pouring rain. F that.
If I could not charge at home I would not buy one. For me that is a huge benefit over ICE. When we go to NC where it's all ICE I realize how much I hate having to go put gas.

That being said I have taken the Tesla to NC like I said before and I have never had to wait to use any supercharger between FL and NC and most stops are 15 min or less. The only time I will stop longer is if I'm having lunch. There are several superchargers around the house in FL that I drive by all the time and I've never seen them full.

Now if you live in CA or live in the middle of nowhere Wyoming somewhere then your results may be different. But the same way I personally wouldn't buy an EV if I can't charge at home I also wouldn't buy an F350 if I didn't have an RV to tow and I wouldn't buy a miata if I didn't have mountain roads to drive it on.

If the shit hit the fan tomorrow and I had to sell all but 1 car... I would probably keep the Tesla. If I was living in NC full time then I would probably keep the truck.
Appreciate 0