02-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #18
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna_hp View Post
Is that true? Doesn't that ruin the range extender functionality? My understanding was that the range extender doesn't supply enough power for continuous spirited driving, that the car is much slower when it doesn't have any battery power left. You are supposed to plan in advance and use the generator to supply supplemental power so that you don't drain the battery as quickly. At least that was how it was explained in earlier coverage.

If this is true about the US i3s with the range extender, that means that all they are good for is an almost "limp mode".
It all depends on where, when, and how you are driving. The REx can maintain 'normal' operation under many conditions, but throw in an Interstate at speed, the seat heaters on, all of the lights on at night, going up a hill, and yes, it will slow down.

If I understand the OCONUS operations, you can turn the REx on when you want, or if you fail to, it will turn on when the battery level gets to about 18% (I think someone said even in the CONUS units, you could activate it below 20%, so there's a little leeway). The CONUS sales units have disabled that ability to make CA happy and to qualify for special consideration on the HOV lanes and some other factors. What's 'good' for CA, apparently is good for all in CONUS. Now, it's likely software, and there are coders out there. Whether it will be easy to change that setting, we'll have to wait and see.
Appreciate 0