antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz26 View Post
Agree with these comments. I run a 1M but have my name down for an i3 for city use. We might not like it but its the future. Seems a lot of people who post all the negative comments want the past to continue with big heavy cars with lots of electric motors working seats etc rather than embrace new light weight technology such as carbon fibre. BMW has already said i3 technology will work its way into future BMW's. so look forward to 3 cylinder petrol engines, fewer electric toys and lightweight plastic reinforced with carbon fibre. Only way manufacturers will meet emission targets. Some niche products like M3 will get triple turbo 6's but by 2020 they may also be a thing of the past. Sad but reality.
Sorry but most people dont have the 40k+ to buy a second car just for the city. This is a high luxury. You bring up a good poiint, this car is not a valid alternative to you, it cant replace your sports car, so you have them both. But there are not enough people that can afford that to sustain it. A middle class family of 4 is not going to buy a 45k car, even as primary car just because it is green and fun, and very few people with wealth live primarily in a city without highway travel requirements to see family/travel etc.

I think the failure of the gm volt (electric with gas alternative) is a bad news for BMW, because an expensive electric car is not on the minds of americans. It is fairly expensive! And even though BMW is a sexy brand, it is that way for existing BMW owners, that on the large majority are not interested in this offering.
Appreciate 0