View Single Post
      02-27-2024, 05:30 PM   #1
frankcamp
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i3

BMW lease ripping me off?

I was about to return my leased i3 to the dealership. The pre-inspection indicated the rear tires need to be replaced - due to low tread depth.

I measured it by myself and both show good amount left (5-6/32 inch). However, the dealer staff told me that BMW measure the tread depth from the top of the wear indicator.

On the lease agreement about the tire: the lowest point of the tread depth should be no less than 1/8". So I insisted that the "BMW standard" does not make sense or did not fully disclosed to the customer at the lease.

I was shocked as I have never heard such "standard" before. I consulted with my mechanics, searched online on all the major tire manufactures' website. All indicating that the tread depth is from the bottom of the tread to the top of the tire surface.

I called BMW USA, but they are very firm and indifferent to this situation. They told me I had to follow what the dealership told me.

What do you think of this situation? I tend to yield and replace the tires for ~$700. But I still do not understand.
Appreciate 0