04-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #51
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
As to recycling materials, the idea may take some time to get used to, but given as the materials are a big part of the BMW i philosophy, I would venture to say that if you don't like the idea to the point of it being a deal breaker, you should probably look at a base Maserati GC which is in a similar price range to the i8 and will have a more plush interior with finer materials.

Take a look at the interior on previous gen Corvettes - almost all plastic. Older Ferraris, same thing. Very spartan. The i8 interior materials is perhaps a future interpretation of that. Regardless of the materials, the interior is very well designed and driver-centric, which I happen to love.

I believe this kind of perfection is a tall order. I bet you can find something to not like in any car with the above criteria. Except a Pagani, but that will set you back 10x more than an i8.

We can agree to disagree on the nitpicking aspect; however surely if these are the reasons not to get an i8, you miss the point of the car entirely. I could care less. Even the cupholder isn't a deal breaker for me It would have been nice if it was nicer, but I'm not going to write off the entire car because of a few minor details.

And, $135k isn't as much for a car as everyone's making it out to be. I was originally expecting this thing to come in much higher than that. A GT-R Track Pack costs nearly as much, looks like a conventional car, rattles and squeaks, and has a POS interior. But almost no car except hypercars can touch its performance. Different focus. The i8 is focused on technology, sustainability, and driving pleasure. Not luxury.
back to your comments:

My family in Europe owned a Maserati which was sold last year. Very unreliable car and always in shop. Plus, not my style.
Ferraris's use cheap plastic. yes I agree, this is why I will never own one or any Italian car. I went almost close to one, it was a very good deal, but when I touched the material from outside and I have seen that the plastic in the back is cheaper than the one that you buy for mosquito's at Rona, I realized what cheap of a car is. It might run nice, but I can not live with that or be the fool who will pay that money for that quality.

My expectations are not that high for the price. I think you and me are different, I do have some expectations when you ask a certain price. And don't pull the technology idea, you have the proof that others can build same technology car and still provide quality for the same price, if not cheaper.
I am not losing the idea of the I8. While I like the car and the exterior design, I think it is poorly executed in terms of fit and finish and materials.
If I want a kart for sensation, I can get an Ariel Atom and that;s it. I8 however it is not only a technological car, it is an image, a top model, a halo car. It doesn't look like one.
Also, I have found on the internet different pictures with other i8's. they have the same rubber seal problems. So obviously, BMW has a template to fabricate that part, however, nobody cares how it looks. the guys at Weather tech can make nice perfect fitting mats , and they don't have BMW financial power.

Pagani, was never in my list, I never liked it, so I am not interested.
But Aston Martin for example, can build exquisite, beautiful machines with an enormous attention to detail.

I don't know how come 4135k is not much for a car, if you compare with what you can buy I think you should be more careful with your statements.
Even if I own hundreds of millions I will not pay for a car that does not deserve the money. This is why I will never own a Nissan GT-R. It is cheap and with no attention to detail.
Maybe you don't work for the money but I do, and I want to see value in a car that I am buying and respect from the manufacturer. Obviously, others can focus and technology, sustainability and driving pleasure while they care about the materials and fit and finish. And, at the same price, if not cheaper.
Appreciate 0