tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
+1

Interesting that not only people here on the forum but journalists also make this bizarre comparison.

Makes no sense to me.

Considering what BMW i is doing, I am certain the i5 will look and perform as it needs to in order to put Tesla Model S in its place. And there is no design comparison of BMW i design language to that of Tesla (which I often mistake for Hyundai or Kia, and there are a ton of these Model S everywhere in my area already).
They make that comparison for two reasons. First there are so few electric cars just about every one competes with the others because buyers have very limited options. Secondly, the i3 is the first EV coming from a premium brand other than Tesla so the natural instinct from the journo's is to assume BMW is making it to compete with Tesla, which of course is not the case.

I did a blog post on this topic last week and it was picked up and re-posted by the EV site InsideEVs.com. I asked what should the i3 really be compared to. Here's the link if anyone is interested: i3 comparison story