View Single Post
      05-06-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
drlonline
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 Coupe

Some interesting data on my 2019 Coupe

As I mentioned in a previous post, one of the main things I was interested in with the 2019 LCI coupe was the improvement in electrical range. As you know, BMW publicly indicated in press releases that the range had improved from 15 to 18 real world miles. However, in the detailed specs attached to the press release, it indicated the max electrical range using the European testing cycle, was 34 miles. From the beginning, I felt the 18 miles was very conservative, not unexpected given the grief they received when the 2014 car was achieving ~ 18 real-world miles, short of the advertised number of 22. With a roughly 70% increase in battery energy density for the 2019 car, it didn't make sense that the range only improved by 20%.

Take a look at the screenshot from my BMW Connected app that I recorded this morning . Now I don't expect to get 38 miles, but I have already achieved 32 and have yet to have a normal electrical-only commute day so I can see how it fares in my real-world conditions. However, the 38 miles indicated is an estimate based on recent driving experience in E-Drive and the average rate of electrical energy consumption. Suffice it to say, I am thrilled with this range improvement .

Now, for those who were impressed with another aspect of the car's performance, namely its capability as a babe magnet, I offer up another couple recent photos I took at an art gallery opening the other night. As you might guess, the young lady in the photos is a professional model who happened to be working the gallery opening. As she was leaving the gallery, she saw my car, which was parked just outside (the owners asked that I move it to right in front of the entrance). When she asked what it was, I couldn't respond without ending my answer with a request that she pose for a photo next to the car. Thinking she would simply stand in front of it, I was taken aback when she nimbly crawled up on the hood. It was obvious she was a professional when I saw how carefully she moved onto the car, conscious of the need to be careful with her heels so as to not scratch the car. I wasn't too worried as I have a clear, protective bra on the front bumper and hood. That protects the car from damage, but I'm still trying to figure out how to protect me from bodily damage my wife might cause if she were to see these photos.

At this point, two weeks into my ownership of the car, I am thrilled beyond belief with the car and how well it satisfies my interests. But I must say, while I knew the car would draw attention, I had no idea that the attention it would draw would come in such attractive forms. BMW has definitely missed a marketing angle for the car, at least with the male sector of their target audience. Maybe Bimmerpost should start another photo sticky thread as a complement to the Location, Location, Location one: "Gorgeous Women, Gorgeous Women, Gorgeous Women"
Attached Images

Appreciate 1