View Single Post
      11-18-2013, 04:50 AM   #22
NorthBuddy
Rep
Drives: BMW

I guess the needed charge times are very individual. In addition always thinking about the "full charge" times is not really the point for most of the customers. Typically you recharge already when battery is only 50% down (or do you wait for your smartphone to turn off before you plug it in to charge?).

For my use case 130-160km per day (I assume that over night L1 charge will always bring it to 100% in the morning) is quite sufficient. So for shopping, driving to work, etc. a 60km one way range is sufficient. So I don't even require > L1 charge. If my company has a L1 charge, it would also be sufficient as the car parks there hours over day. A L2 or higher is making it more convenient, yes.

BMW is not targeting customers which have the need to drive more than >150km/day regulary. They're not really in focus for the i3 and BMW said so at the IAA in Frankfurt and also at our dealer here in Germany. Their main customer group has a need of 70-100km/day. For exceptional case you can get a rebated rental car. But if someone permanently drive more than the battery provides, he's just not on the target group for the car. The i3 is not supposed to replace long distance travel cars like the Tesla Model S is - for a quite higher price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Well I guess it's like why we use 0 - 60 MPH as a benchmark for acceleration capability. There needs to be a common denominator that every vehicle is capable of achieving. Measuring the car to that standard allows people to judge if the particular performance meets their needs or desires.
Yes, we need to be able to compare. But the 0 - 60 MPH is a good comparison. While everybody's talking in the bars about 0 - 60 MPH and Vmax of cars, how many are diving like this all the time? I agree to EnI that we've to overcome the discussion about theoretical points when making decisions about the personal mobility. What is it worth if the car charges faster and allows longer distances without recharging, if the user doesn't need it. It's a personal usage profile which decides about the meaning of the denominator. Everything else is just 'talking'. For electric mobility, a (small) change of mindset is needed.

Last edited by NorthBuddy; 11-18-2013 at 05:00 AM..
Appreciate 0