View Single Post
      09-14-2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Gastoys
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The i3 is certainly not dead as for the Tesla comparisons we do not have a product that competes directly with the Model S. I wish people would stop comparing the i3 to the Model S because it is not a direct competitor .
I had to correct many journalists in regards to that fact. The i3 is a purely urban concept , but i3 is purely going to be the game changer for conventional manufacturers.

The highlight of IAA press day ? Watching the faces of the senior executives of our direct competitors investigating the i3 and i8.
In regards to the 7er? We sell the 7er globally , Tesla sells against the 7er only in the USA.

When the BMW i5 comes on stream then we can see how BMWi will compete directly with Tesla . That is when it gets interesting...
I think you miss read my post, never compared i3 to Telsa, just made a point that the Tesla is hurting 7 series sale in my U.S. market. IMO, BMW should take the Tesla route, start big hitting the successful marketing target of the Tesla demographics.

The i3 will be competing with cars like the Nissan Leaf and not sure how it fits in being the "Ultimate Driving Experience".

The i3 with poor range, lack luster performance, smart car like appearance with an expensive price and higher maintenance costs might sell fairly well in the beginning with all the citizen tax payer incentives to a demographic group such as the feel good city slickers high on Apple products, but I suspect it will lose its appeal and sales will fall flat like the Nissan Leaf and the Chevy Volt. There are $12k in incentives for Nissan Leafs here in the U.S. and they are still having dificulties selling them.

BMW should focus on a 400hp 325mile range electric 7 series and work down to the 1 series if they were truly serious about penetrating the electric market and living their values - "Ultimate Driving Experience".

The i3 would do much better in their Mini Cooper division.

P.s. Tesla is branching out to Europe so ...

Last edited by Gastoys; 09-14-2013 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0