04-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #49
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddk632 View Post
If you are so confident as to the perfection of all seals and fittings of every piece of rubber in a Jag or other cars as you stated, go ahead and post some pics of that Jaguar and make sure to include every fitting in every corner, nook, and cranny, and prove that you don't see a 3mm gap anywhere between seals. That kind of perfection is what I was referring to when I said you're nitpicking.

The new NSX is a very nice looking car and the NSX name is a legend in its own right. Make sure to report back on the fitting of the rubber seals and the fitment of the weatherstripping in that car, just for the sake of comparison.

As to recycling materials, the idea may take some time to get used to, but given as the materials are a big part of the BMW i philosophy, I would venture to say that if you don't like the idea to the point of it being a deal breaker, you should probably look at a base Maserati GC which is in a similar price range to the i8 and will have a more plush interior with finer materials.

Take a look at the interior on previous gen Corvettes - almost all plastic. Older Ferraris, same thing. Very spartan. The i8 interior materials is perhaps a future interpretation of that. Regardless of the materials, the interior is very well designed and driver-centric, which I happen to love.

I believe this kind of perfection is a tall order. I bet you can find something to not like in any car with the above criteria. Except a Pagani, but that will set you back 10x more than an i8.

We can agree to disagree on the nitpicking aspect; however surely if these are the reasons not to get an i8, you miss the point of the car entirely. I could care less. Even the cupholder isn't a deal breaker for me It would have been nice if it was nicer, but I'm not going to write off the entire car because of a few minor details.

And, $135k isn't as much for a car as everyone's making it out to be. I was originally expecting this thing to come in much higher than that. A GT-R Track Pack costs nearly as much, looks like a conventional car, rattles and squeaks, and has a POS interior. But almost no car except hypercars can touch its performance. Different focus. The i8 is focused on technology, sustainability, and driving pleasure. Not luxury.
Ok,
there are some pictures with my 2003 Jaguar X-Type AWD. The pictures were taken when the car was 8 years old or 150.000 km later. I don't have pictures of the rubber seals, I never thought I need that; however, you can see perfectly how the seals look like. They are ONE PIECE and they fit properly. That car was around $60.000 when I bought it new. the funny thing is, it was one of the cars that was always sitting outside at -40 C and it was my daily driver. I think it was a very good car. Also look at how the leather looks like 8 years later. keep in mind, this was a small Jaguar, not their top of the line.
I have also included in here one picture with my 2006 Accord Coupe, which is house mule.
Yes, they look good because, I love my cars a lot, I am a car guy. The idea is that you should look at the rubber seal. This car was $42.000 brand new.
The picture is taken last year, again, 7 years later and I still own this car.
So, we are talking about normal cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0