View Single Post
      07-13-2014, 07:34 AM   #3
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Nice! Thanks for posting. It was bound to happen sooner than later - someone was going to put the i8 on the track...

The i8 was not designed with track use in mind, so the result is not surprising. Tires being likely the biggest limitation as far as lap times go, and with battery depletion and possible overheating (battery gets really hot) happening after a small number of laps therefore making it rather impractical to do any track days with this car.

I think (based on the many reviews from Malibu, CA and the Malibu canyons) the i8 will feel quite at home on a winding mountain road, and also in the city and urban driving.

A perfect road trip car for someone (or some two) who doesn't (don't) need a ton of luggage for the trip!

For the track, my weapon of choice would be an M235i (or upcoming M2), M4, or the badass one and only E36/8 S54 Z3 M Coupe, though their near collectible status makes it a less likely contender.

One side note, it's interesting how all of the reviews have had their MPG readings all over the map. Some mag testers claimed 26mpg in mixed urban/canyon driving, and AutoBild here got 42mpg (double the Porsche per post above) in all out flogging. Thus I haven't really trusted any of them until I get my own specimen to play around with and see what kind of MPG I can get under different types of driving.
Appreciate 0