bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver View Post
What a brave new world. I doubt first responders have the time to be analyzing how new lightweight cars are built. The best approach is to use a hydraulic tool like the jaws of life to rip the door off. Dust masks as a precaution, of course.
They are using a hydraulic tool like the jaws of life here. The problems posed by carbon fiber are:

1) The tools used for cutting steel don't work the same on carbon fiber. Steel sheers cleanly with relatively loose bypass gaps in the cutting surfaces. Carbon fiber shreds, and those shreds can still prevent victim extraction. Imagine trying to cut cloth with a loose pair of scissors. That's what can happen with CF.

2) The diagrams shown in the photos appear to illustrate the electrical systems of the EV. You don't want to go cutting in to a high voltage/amperage cable with those cutting tools. Most older "jaws of life" units weren't designed with EV in mind, so they don't have good insulation for the operator.

3) Molded carbon fiber parts are capable of rigidity that is orders of magnitude greater than steel. Put simply, the hydraulic tools simply may not be strong enough to force entry if incorrectly applied.

So yes, first responders are taking the time to understand how their tools are affected by new automobile designs. It is their job to do so.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 2