Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW i3 has 100,000 People Waiting for Test Drives

BIMMERPOST NEWS
BMW i3 has 100,000 People Waiting for Test Drives
COMMENTS
Name:  BMW_i3_Concept_Coupe_27.jpg
Views: 6667
Size:  340.8 KB

Chief of BMW Sales, Ian Robertson, has shared that the company has approximately 100,000 reservations worldwide for test drives of the soon to be debuted BMW i3 electric car. However, some of those interested apparently don't even need test drives to be convinced as there are also already a "significant numbers of deposits" for the i3.

With this amount of interest already, Robertson goes on to say that "We are confident that with the i3 and i8 we will shift the [customer demand] needle because we will shape some of this technology" in the EV sector. Robertson said the i3 differs from many of the EVs on the road today because it was developed as an EV from the start, rather than being conventional car with an electric powertrain dropped in.

The all-electric i3 will feature a body weight of approximately 1250kg / 2755lb, and will cover 0-62mph in approximately 7.2sec and 37-75mph in 6.0sec. Top speed will be limited to around 93mph to protect the charge of the battery. There will also be a range-extended hybrid model available.

Expect to see the production BMW i3 unveiled in September at the Frankfurt Auto Show, with sales beginning not too long after.

If you missed our recent video series covering the technologies and philosophies behind the BMW i3, we've reposted it below.

The protective external skin:

Lightweight for a dynamic experience:

Carbon fiber from renewable energy:

Carbon fiber sustainable series production:

Safe zero emissions:

The sustainable car:

Parking pleasure:

Driving range:

Car sharing:

Appreciate 0