03-01-2014, 07:41 AM   #18
simongym
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
On the flip-side, I'm much more of the "just give me everything" mentality. Spec-ing out a 911 is aneurysm inducing, the "easiest" being the GT3 and GT3 RS, where everything you'd want in a car built for that purpose is standard.

It could have been worse, they could have made it $135k base with $40k in available options.

Also, it makes it WAAAAAY easier to find a second-hand car when they all come the same. Before I bought a CLK63 Black Series in 2010, the search variables consisted of condition, mileage, and color. No looking for one with the "sport suspension", "upgraded stereo", or "limited-slip" just "what color?"
Excellent points, I hadn't thought about the used i8 in 5-10 years aspect, now I can look forward to that possibility! Definitely agree on the 911, when the base price seems so reasonable but then how can you justify not getting all of the wonderful options? And next thing you know the price has doubled.

When I bought my first car, a used '02 325i, I didn't research BMW's enough to know what I was looking at or should be looking for, let alone test drive different options to see what I would actually like. I still loved the car, but I could have done a lot better. The mechanic I took it too said it had the 'Beast' package: non-metallic paint, leatherette, no packages, no options.
Appreciate 0