02-16-2014, 09:13 PM   #43
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Depends on what you consider low and the type of charger you're using (there are three) - in the USA, home line voltage - about 8-hours from 'empty'; with a 240-vac (electric dryer type circuit) and charging box, about 3-hours; with a commercial (unlikely to get one of these for your home) DC-Fast charge, about 20-minutes to 80%, then it switches to more of a trickle charger to top it off, so it depends. It comes with a cord you can plug into a standard 15A electrical plug in the USA, and, if you want the DCFC option ability, you have to order it with the car. There aren't many of those around but many more are promised in the next year.
Mainly just curious to see what stopping to 'refuel' is like for an electric car. Sounds like we're talking about a 20 minute pit stop to re-charge, provided you plan trips well enough around locations where that's possible. If that's the case, that's not bad at all. I see people re-charging at work, so was just curious as to whether this was a 'drive 100 miles, sit for 4 hours, drive 100 miles, sit for 4 hours' kind of thing..

What is intriguing to me about this car, would be if there is ever an i-x5 or whatever that would be called (electric X5). This would be great for my wife, as most of her driving is local. But the family car is also what we'd be using for vacations and weekend trips, so 80 - 100 miles wouldn't cut it unless we knew we could charge along the way without it adding 50% or more to our travel time (no desire to keep the kids in the car longer than we need to!). I did hear something on the c-net review about a program BMW offers to give you gas vehicles for long trips, so maybe there's promise there. But they'd have to make an i version of the X5 first, or at least an i5 or something, in wagon format.

Last edited by chrisny; 02-16-2014 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0