First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
From Tesla's super charging page:

"What should I do if all Supercharger stalls are occupied when I arrive?

Check to see if current users have left contact information on their dashboard and give them a call. Most customers charge for 20 to 60 minutes.

There are people waiting to charge, but I am not done charging; what is charging etiquette?

We ask our customers to use courtesy while charging. Once your Model S has completed charging, we ask that you move your vehicle to make the spot available for other Model S owners."

So basically you wait an hour to fill up the battery to go another 200+ miles? No thanks.
How often do you drive more than 300 miles (the fully charged range of an S?). I'd guess less than 1% of the US populace drive more than 500 miles more than two or three times a year. So have a coffee, stretch your legs and add an hour to a seven or eight hour trip. The tragedy.

Remember, we're only comparing this to an i3 with Rex, which requires more gas every 80 miles. So over a 500 mile trip, you'd either stop once in a Tesla for an hour max, or stop at least six times in an i3. Even if it only takes ten minutes each time, you're still no better off, and you've been inconvenienced a lot more. That's also saying that someone conveniently placed gas stations every 80 miles and you're not having to stop more often just for the insurance of having range, or not finding a station and calling in roadside assistance.

The simple fact is that once the Supercharger network is complete, a fully electric Tesla makes more sense than a hybrid. Finally, the convenience of having HOV lane access in a Tesla or non REX i3 has great benefit to those that live in CA or other areas with limited HOV access.
No, the fully electric does not make more sense at this time. Like I said before the infrastructure does not support it.

$50-$60 for a battery switch, I might as well use my gasoline powered vehicles or even better my BMW i car. The only reason why I asked if the money was returned upon your return was because you stated earlier the 20 minute quick charge, (which is only half a charge) was/is free. I drive a lot, especially on Monday's and Friday's and 20 minutes to fill half the tank, so to speak, is not productive for me.

Why is this comparison based on the i3 when it's half the cost of the Tesla S ? Its not even the same class of car. The more obvious comparison would be the i8 and also like I said before, for my money, it would be the i8 over the Tesla S hands down.
Appreciate 0