View Single Post
      08-13-2013, 03:10 PM   #35
Judah
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black E46 M3

Fine, this is an i3 forum but that doesn't answer my initial question.
It seems as though no Tesla supporter wants to compare the more appropriate comparison, the i8. I understand the i8 is a hybrid but thats what this conversation between you and I is all about, Hybrid vs EV.

I'm not saying you're giving up anything, I think you missed the point. The point is you are putting yourself back into the same situation as having a fossil fueled vehicle with the added stress of not currently having the ability to refuel, (in this case recharge) wherever you may need to go. Nevermind the added cost of changing the primary Tesla battery pack every few years. When the ability to recharge is available it's time consuming. Time is money and I make my money on the road. Yes, for many folks a Tesla is more appealing but for most folks it's not. Tesla has made some sales but they are not out selling the 7, S, LS or A8.

As for your personal speculation. Im the guy who will run a vehicle out of warranty in two years because of mileage and there are many like me. Furthermore I say, with no disrespect to anyone, if you purchase or lease a vehicle with the thought of how much you can't drive it due to resale value, as if a car itself is an investment, than chances are you really can not afford the car. Many cars used in sales, project management ...etc are low cost cars but many companies, small and large, use high five and/or six figure cars due to the perception and/or image that must be portrayed to clients, prospective clients, investors and even competitors. With that being said, sometimes a drive to Massachusetts or Pittsburg from New Jersey and back is needed, with stops on the way. Flying is not always a viable solution. Sometimes this is done multiple time per week.
I have to admit, I have little interest in owning a i3, however a i8 maybe in my future.

Sure Tesla has put money into a infrastructure to support the full electric vehicle but do you honestly think that BMW, Audi, GM and the others haven't. I said it before, mister Musk has put together a nice package and he is applauded for that but don't think for a minute that the rest are standing still watching Tesla in awe because they are not. Without some form of technological advantage over the other brands, (BMW has already taken the ev battery advantage Tesla once had) I predict Tesla will be sold or become just another ehhh brand. The thing about being first is that it doesn't always mean you're first.
Appreciate 0