10-13-2013, 07:13 AM   #13
tommolog
Tom Moloughney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 i3s BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by cblandin View Post
I can't help but wonder if the Chevy Spark EV wouldn't be as much fun to drive as the i3 for a whole lot less coin. I mean all EVs demonstrate smooth torquey driving at city speeds and since full throttle generates no more noise and fuss than 3% throttle, you tend to use the power more than you would in a typical gas powered car. This is one of the reasons EV owners all tend to say their car is quick, when classic 0-60 measures don't back that assertion. Most EVs also have heavy battery packs mounted somewhat low in the chassis, which contributes to their surprising handling prowess (often ultimately restricted by the low rolling resistance tires). I'm just not sure how much the i3 is bringing to the table relative to its EV competition these days in terms of pure driving/car value.
The Spark EV is a nice little EV for sure but it's difficult to really compare the two for a few reasons.

First and most importantly, the Spark is a low volume compliance EV that GM has said (and recently confirmed) will only be available for sale in California and Oregon. That's too bad because I think they would sell a good number of them if they were available everywhere. On the other hand, the i3 is a world car and will be available in all 50 states in the US, plus in just about every country BMW sells cars in.

Then there is the driving experience. All EV's are definitely not created equal. I've driven just about every modern electric car (haven't driven the Spark though because it's not available on the East Coast, but I have talked to a few people that have) and I can tell you with certainty some drive dramatically better than others. You just don't get the same driving experience when you convert a gasoline car to electric like GM did with the Spark. It wasn't designed to be an electric car and like the Ford Focus electric you can tell that once you spend some time in it. The i3 is purpose built with the electric components and drivetrain all incorporated into the design, not squeezed here and there wherever there is room for them. Plus, the i3 has strong a-pedal regen, something only Tesla really gets. The i3's regen is even stronger than what you find on the Model S and it makes a great single-pedal driving experience. The Sparks regen is very weak in comparison.

The i3 is the only EV that offers an optional range extender. This will be a very popular option with many first time EV buyers. It will help to get people that are hesitant about range and charging issues on the road to try an EV.

Lastly, many people do want a premium feel and amenities in their car. The Spark is rather spartan and what you would expect in a sub-20k economy car. The i3's interior is really one of it's strong design aspect, it's really beautiful and very comfortable. There are available options like adaptive cruise control, brake assist, parking assistant and a navigation system that offers smart range calculations based on real time traffic conditions, weather, driving style, the speed limit of the rout you are taking and even topography. These factors can impact your range tremendously and the i3's range estimator is the only one on the market that takes these into consideration.

Oh and I almost forgot the size. While they are both small cars, the i3 is indeed considerably larger. It's over a foot longer and a half a foot wider. That makes a lot of difference in the passenger cabin. The i3 actually has about the same passenger volume as a 3 series and feels spacious when you're in it. You know you're in a sub-compact when your sitting in a Spark.

Still all thinks considered, the thing that kills the Spark from really being considered competition to anything is that it will only be for sale in CA and OR.

Last edited by tommolog; 10-14-2013 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0