billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton Mas81 View Post
thanks Billy,

i have not understood. if i go on comfort mode in town going no more then 60 km/h will it drain the battery the same if you go on fully electric mode in town?
Hello Sire,

If you're driving 60 km/h in town the car will probably use petrol engine when accelerating from traffic lights etc. so you may reach your destination with some EV-battery still unused. Depends the distance and your driving style. If you're going for lets say lunch, 10 km of city driving, put the car into "Full EV mode" (the button below START button). Then it will not start the petrol engine even under accelerations. With "Full EV mode" the car will accelerate 0-60 mph around 9 sec so its not slow either, but hard accelerations ... once again, they eat your electrical range rather fast.

The Comfort Mode will eat up EV-battery faster no matter if you put the car into the "Full EV mode" or if you use the hybrid mode, where car decides how it uses the EV-battery.

The Eco Pro Mode will consume less EV-battery and less fuel, no matter what speeds you're using. Eco Pro will limit the HVAC (among other things) so in rainy weather the windows may start to ... "fog up".

In general the most efficient way to use any plug in car at "daily basis" is as follows:

-Don't charge the EV-battery with your petrol engine (Sport-mode), this is no good for overall MPG.
-Charge the car at home / work / during errands.
-Use the cabin preheating / -cooling feature.
-Put it Full EV mode every time you know that you have errands to run which are well inside the predicted EV range.

Bonus:

-IF you're going on a longer journey, use the Sat Nav. Then the car will use your battery pack in most efficient way as it knows where you're heading, what route you're taking etc. It will use battery for example uphills and charge it back up at downhills, slowing to roundabouts etc. I personally use this feature all the time, even when driving to destinations where I know the route.

This is true with all plugin hybrids and full EV cars, no matter the brand: Always use Sat Nav if you want to reach your destination in most efficient way.

If there's any other way I may assist you, please just ask!
Happy motoring with your new i8!
Appreciate 0