03-23-2024, 01:47 PM   #30
Blackdog76
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by perj42 View Post
I love ur rebuild! I wanted to tell u my
Story and ask for urs or anyone’s advice on here.

I hydroplaned/ crashed my bmw i8 hitting rear left side on 5 freeway center median divider during storm last month. and police pushed the car off freeway while doing so car went into park :/

The big aluminum plate protecting underneath the car has a small bend in it now from the impact. This car already had an impact in the same
Exact spot prior to my buying it. So ive already rebuilt and welded the frame
On the rear left side before.. now i put the car back together and whenever the gas engine kicks in, the transmission starts reving high and i can hear metal on metal noises. Im hoping the cv axle isnt popped in all the way so im taking it apart and putting it back together again and hitting it harder to make sure its all the way in…

Now incase it isnt is there a way to replace the trans without removing the subframe? As penskee auto body (bmw of san diego/
And escondido body shop) told me since the plate underneath the car is a bit bent and more than likely the frame/ body is tweaked and if the frame comes off it won’t screw back into place…

I already purchased a replacement subframe 2 years or so ago before deciding the weld the frame. So i have one sitting here id love to use as well i found a great deal on used transmissions for the i8…

Can someone give me some info, if body is bent will the frame not screw back in?

Does the subframe have to come off in order to replace the transmission?

Thanks for your time!

I’m not an expert but carbon doesn’t really bend, it breaks. That’s why I had to swap the entire body of mine due to a pillar damage. And dropping the entire rear subframe and motor assembly is the way to go if your replacing the subframe.
Appreciate 0