Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Spot on.

There's a reason why such a beautiful car hasn't sold like it was anticipated to.

Perhaps it has to do with many cars being quicker and half the money (e.g. RS3), plus you could buy an additional 320d for commuting and still have enough spare cash to insure, fuel and tax them both for close on 5 years.

Next gen i8 needs to pretty much double the power output if BMW wants to sell more
lol...700hp, 840 lb/ft...and what, keep the same price? Keep the same efficiency? Yea, they don't need to do that to sell more.

BMW has continued investing in it, as seen by this new Spyder model...do you think they don't know what they are doing? Why would they waste money on the platform if they gain nothing from it?

The fact that you compare to an RS3, how is that remotely the competition? The Tesla P100D beats supercars at a fraction of the cost, do you think their sales are hurting because of Tesla? It is the age-old excuse of someone who never intends to get one..."I can get something faster for cheaper"...well then get it. The i8 was never intended to be the fastest, nor was it marketed as such.

The i Series is literally described as a visionary lineup to showcase the direction BMW wants to go in with regards to electric/hybrid drivetrains and efficiency in design. In fact, it's right here: https://legacy.bmw.com/com/en/newveh.../overview.html
Amgeater2711.50
ORIGIN M.3160.50