View Single Post
      06-15-2020, 10:12 AM   #6
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Thank you, all. I haven't driven with the Kassel tune as of yet. He didn't indicate what he changed because that would give competitors an edge. He is a business and wants to protect his findings. However, it appears he was able to increase the output while nearly maintaining the exact power curve from the stock pull.

Opinion time: I'm concerned that the flat HP and Torque curves are actually the reason why so many folks message me, expressing disappointment in the driving experience. I get messages from folks asking what they can do in order to make the car feel more exciting, wild or responsive. I'm asked for tips in engine swaps. I'm asked why Koenigsegg can make a 600 HP 3 cylinder, but BMW can't. I don't have answers, but the only thing I can do is spend hours looking at a chart that tells me that the power delivery is so refined and close to the Utopian flat curve that every manufacturer wants, that it takes the feeling of rawness away. For those that don't want the rawness, the i8 is perfect, because it is efficient and effective. For those of us who grew up with carburetors and loud engines/exhaust, the i8 leaves us disappointed, to the point where it's better to trade it to someone who appreciates that. I was considering selling my i8 and getting a more exciting car, even if it's 2 seconds slower in the quarter mile. I miss the excitement, especially hanging around my raw car owner friends. I feel like a tall child sitting at the adult meal table. I look like I fit in but I just can't keep up the conversation. I can carry my own, talking about technology and refinement, but they are speaking a different language; a language I've spoken since I bought my first Corvette in 1994 but can't relate to, anymore.

Regarding the Kassel tune, I'm asking myself what's going to happen. They kept the HP and Torque curves about the same, just elevating them. It's the same flat curve as stock. It's possible I'll be faster, but still not experiencing the excitement. I'm waiting to see. I'll go back to Kassel in a month, do more testing and drive their tune.

I do have opinions on the current tune that I'm running and can see that the curve is close to stock through a certain RPM range, but bumps up through others. I can tell you that this feels more like a gas car and it's a feeling I want to have in the i8. I can say that my rear tires are now spinning if I turn DSC off and pull out in Sport Mode from a stop, something my Continental DWS06 all season 30mm wider tires have NEVER done. I can also say that the seat belt tensioner now locks up upon deceleration from a full-throttle application and my car has never done that before. Do I like it? Yes. Is it doing anything to improve 0-60, 60-120, etc? I'm not so sure. But, I like how it feels to me and it makes me not want to sell the i8 anymore.