afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull
Bigger battery than the current new battery? So can we expect at least 170 miles range?
In a BEV, no, in a REx, of course.
Going from 60Ah to 90Ah battery capacity (same physical tray size) gave i3 an effective 50% battery boost (from 22KWh to 33KWh). The actual range increased by less than that, from 81 miles to 114 miles, or + 40%, due to the extra weight.

Going from 90Ah to 125Ah (next step in Samsung batteries) will provide a +39% capacity boost. If you assume a similar handicap with actual range, we would get ~ +31% range bump, upto ~150 miles.

Still too little to compete effectively against Bolt or Model S, or Model 3.
But better than it was before.

The only outstanding questions are:
  1. When will it happen. Could be MY18, starting production on 11/17. Could be MY19. I believe the answer is largely in Samsung's hands.
  2. How much more will it cost us. You would think that it would be irresponsible to raise prices when the product is becoming less and less competitive. But BMW did just that with the 90Ah batteries last year, and hasn't bothered to drop the price on the 60Ah i3, even though the batteries clearly cost BMW much less now then they did three (3) years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
My 2015 Coded US REx often shows more than 170 miles of total range. I rarely use a 1/4 of that in a day.
Mostly same here, but that's also a self fulfilling prophesy.

I just don't take the REX onto long journeys anymore. Use ICE cars for that.
Therefore, short range is sufficient. But if i3 did have an appreciably longer range, I probably would have pushed its limits a lot more.

a
Appreciate 0