03-13-2017, 03:57 AM   #32
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailyhill View Post
Going from 60Ah to 90Ah battery capacity (same physical tray size) gave i3 an effective 50% battery boost (from 22KWh to 33KWh). The actual range increased by less than that, from 81 miles to 114 miles, or + 40%, due to the extra weight.

Going from 90Ah to 125Ah (next step in Samsung batteries) will provide a +39% capacity boost. If you assume a similar handicap with actual range, we would get ~ +31% range bump, upto ~150 miles.

Now if you add in a REX with a larger tank, is reasonable to expect an additional ~150 miles from the REX. This makes a trip with a destination 300 miles away feasible, and with a fill up at the other end, you can come back 150 miles. Add in a fast charge at the destination or on the way back, and you can do a very nice 600 mile round trip. This is competitive with what is out there, considering the way the i3 drives. I would do this in a hearbeat when my 2015 REX comes off lease in 8 months.

Bailyhill
I don't see BMW adding a bigger fuel tank but this would really improve the i3 range. What the i3 needs is M Sport package which includes sport suspension and sport mode as well standard rims and tires. The amount of saving with these special i3 types may have helped 3 years ago but not now with better battery milage. BMW needs to sell more of the i3 so they need to make the i3 a drivers cars not a shopping trolly for around town.