View Single Post
      06-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #22
Longwong
Banned
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 catless

Frankly 2800 pounds is really no feat for a car this tiny. I mean a ferrari weighs 3100 pounds and is a full on car. This was designed from the ground up with cf in mind and yet still weighs this much. I know batteries are ridiculously expensive.

I honestly think EV are not the answer but rather it will be an electrically modified improvement on the internal combustion engine that remains the powerplant for true performance cars.

Like the electrically controlled valves and getting rid of the camshafts and all the parasitic losses that offer. Controlling power steering, fuel pump, water pump via alternator which charges with the regenerative braking technology already employed and a KERs types system which allows a peak power using less of the gas burning engine and instead supplements it with stored energy.

I could see easily getting an M performance engine to 40 mpg with this technology and a non-m car doing 50 mpg. They also would have ranges longer than current gas engined cars as the KErs and such would allow peak power application without needing full relience on the gas engine
Appreciate 0