Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3JETS View Post
Agree. While the new Tesla 3 has over 500,000 orders this will continue to collect dust in the showrooms. I thought BMW was smarter than this. This design is fugly and won't sell well at not in the US.
It is not just about the US.
And this one is on schedule and ready to be sold in the last quarter of the year not four years from now.
I've heard this argument from other EV manufacturers (GM is doing this with the upcoming Bolt) - "our car is ready now not in several years". It's a weak argument and they should focus on creating amazing electric cars rather than just bizarre designs (GM, Toyota FCV, Prius, etc) or designs that have very limited appeal like the i3.

What manufacturers need to figure out is that the first round of EV buyer was the ex-hippie green crowd but now there is a rapidly growing demographic who are more like a typical BMW driver who enjoys an amazing driving experience and EVs can deliver that.

I've had BMWs all my life (still have one) but my Tesla Model S (despite a few shortcomings - what car is perfect) is so much more fun to drive I can't imagine ever buying a non EV in the future and I don't want something that looks like it belongs in a sci-fi movie or screams "I drive an EV". I just want a nicely designed sedan or SUV that has the benefit of an amazing EV drivetrain and combines it with a luxurious interior I've grown to love in BMW.

In short... Make me a nice looking BMW i5 and I will likely be back to the brand in a heartbeat. Until then I will continue paying way too much for Teslas.