04-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #13
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Why does this make the i3 so narrowly focused then? It's a car, an Electric car; and not the first.
Something like the Tesla, is a car, an Electric car, too. It is not intended to be something designed to get around the city as efficiently and easily as the i3 with it's shorter length, tighter turning circle, ding-resistant door and hood panels, and taller height. They had different visions on what they wanted to be from the beginning. Stuffing more and more battery capacity into a vehicle is a decreasing benefit, until, at some point, you'd be decreasing range with more battery. Future tech will allow us to store and use more energy in the same volume, but that's true for any user - it will only get better. Possibly combine that with super capacitors for more efficient temporary/high discharge storage capacity and things look very interesting as this all evolves. Throw in fuel cells and the infrastructure to refuel them, and the whole market changes. All of these things take time...you have to start somewhere.

Look at the range increase you get on the Tesla when you go from the 60 to the optional 85KwHr battery - about 50-60 miles. On that 24KwHr capacity, the i3 can go upwards of 100 miles in their eco+ mode. Why, because their focus is different...higher speeds, faster acceleration on the Tesla, and light, but not as focused with the CFRP core, there are limits.

Nobody ever said the i3 was an ICE, general purpose vehicle replacement and if you expect it to be and look at it like that, you will be disappointed. Used as intended, I think it is a vehicle that does very well. If you don't have a need, it will not have any appeal.

The clean sheet approach allowed them to consider each component as to how it interacted with the whole, then explore new approaches to solve problems. Being stuck with an existing construction plant and family resemblances and parts bins, does not...doesn't mean you can't have some innovation, but the differences can be huge.

Certainly, BMW could have made the i3 look like nearly every other car they currently make, but why? It has no need to let them stick in their popular I6 ICE...it was purpose designed to be electric, so the length, overall structural strength and safety design parameters did not have to support a big hunk of metal at the front (the engine), and by designing the battery compartment and electric motor components, they could optimize stability, safety, and get their desired 50/50 weight balance to obtain the familial handling, consistent with the intended use of the vehicle. It was not designed to win 1/4-mile drag races, or compete on the race track. There's a limit on what's needed or desired to get you safely and confidently around the city. That with the electric, you can use all of the instant torque and never embarrass your self at the green light is probably enough.
Appreciate 0