View Single Post
      10-15-2013, 06:51 PM   #22
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

The MiniE reported stats back to the factory. The average user used the vehicle for 30 miles a day. Most of them had a second (or more) car for longer trips. This thing has enough extra range for a fairly decent side-trip to that 30-mile, average roundtrip commute. Don't try to compare this to a typical car that needs to do everything...it is designed, and always will be a car designed for shorter trips, centered around a city. There are others, yet to come, that will aim to replace those with electric or hybrids.

For me, 95% of my travel is within about 10-miles of my house. Should I want to go to the nearest big city, it's probably in range, and easily would be if I could be sure I could recharge while there, but I'd probably buy the REX for those hot summer days, stuck in traffic near the max range of the thing without the REX. That's exactly what that option is for...to add a buffer for those that need it. While I don't expect the extra maintenance to be all that much, adding an engine means more needed trips to the dealer - the oil, filter, coolant, etc., will need to be checked and changed. And, adding in a muffler has its hassles, too. I can easily see many people not needing or wanting that, so it makes very good sense to make it optional.

Wait for the i5, or whatever else comes up in the future for some other options to augment the city car. The i8 already has the equivalent of a 'normal' car, but can still go all electric for that average commute, should you wish.
Appreciate 0