07-13-2014, 04:05 AM   #1
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

SCANS - Autobild i8 vs 911 Carrera4 S

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Enjoy the review. The i8 is definitely not a track car!

translation (using google translate)

Pages 1-2:

Title: Ready for the race track?

Now it gets serious: How good is BMW's electric-revolution on the racetrack? A comparison against the veteran Porsche 911 clarifies what the i8 has at the limit.

It has experienced a lot and he survived it all. For 50 years, the Porsche 911 has, like no other sports car, reigned at the top of the ladder. But now suddenly the BMW i8 comes along and wants to do things differently. As the first eco-sports car in the world, it promises a turnaround away from gas-guzzling pace with efficient dynamic driving experience via electrical doping. Since the legendary M1 of 1978, no other BMW sportscar has had so much expectations put on as the i8. Its expressive and futuristic design catapulted the expectations at the 911-level. At least, the pace at which the car turns heads around, the i8 is certainly the winner. But can the AWD i8 convince on the track as well? How can it performs against the 4 wheel drive 911? Lap times are still the yardsticks for driving dynamics.

Captions: (The i8 is tomorrow's sportscar. Therefore it must be measured against the reference, the 911)

Pages 3-4:

The technical data can be expected to duel head-to-head. With 362 hp and 1559 kgs empty weight for the i8 and the 400 hp and 21 kilos lighter 911 4S, the BMW has a small disadvantage. But it counters with more uniform weight distribution, better aerodynamics and e-torque extreme pulling power at intermediate speeds. In the discipline of 80 to 120 km/h, the BMW has a tiny edge in front of the Porsche. But will that be enough to defeat it? So let's step on the rink. In this case, the Oschersleben track. Auto Bild regularly tests on the 3.7 km long circuit, so that the lap times can be compared to other sports cars (see box on the left). First goes the Porsche. Already in the fourth lap, its tires get so hot that they lose their optimal grip. Although the 911 slips at key portions of the track, it is faster. Reason: Due to the load change, it breaks its tail (with inactiveESP) exactly the apex of the curves and allows changes in direction an in a fixed line. With a lap of 1:44,19 minutes, it burns a top time in the asphalt. In short, the interaction between the easy-rotating rear engine, precise steering, stable ceramic brakes as well as the perfectly tuned suspension that Porsche has perfected over many decades, in experts hands, the 911 is hard to beat. Not even the i8. With freshly charged batteries, the BMW feels nearly as fast around the racetrack. But when looking at the stopwatch - the disillusionment 1:48,72 minutes, which is more than four seconds slower - a world in the sports car segment, where every tenth of a second counts. And not only that: Althought the complicated symbiosis of electric motor and three-cylinder works impressively well on the track, under extreme loads, the i8 is quickly out of juice. This condition weakness, AUTO BILD had already noticed lit ast week at intermediate sprints on the highway. In the third lap, at full throttle, the battery pack was so much drained that the BMW was missing e-Boost and was much slower. When accelerating out of corners the car loses valuable time: around 4.5 additional seconds. Its lap time is now almost 9 seconds slower than the Porsche - a galaxy.

Captions:
LAP TIMES COMPARISONS
BMW i8 and 911 in comparison with other sports cars

The current series of 911 means 991 has clearly put on luxury, but has not lost its fun.

The i8 cockpit is simple and functional.

The lap times of the i8 runs behind these of the 911, presenting mainly less grip.

Pages 5-6:
The Porsche shouts and shrieks, but meanwhile, continue to relish around the track. Lap after lap it repeated his best time as a precision instrument. it does not show any sign of fatigue and is extremely stable. Whenever we take your eyes off the stopwatch, there is still plenty of driving fun left for the i8. Bottom line: BMW has certainly matches its fast shape. In curves, it behaves wonderfully neutrally, pushes at excessively high input pace only slightly over the front wheels. Oversteer can be provoked by load changes, but unlike the 911, this brings no advantages. With only a 1.5-liter engine in the back, it's hard to believe in view of the extraordinary soundscape. Its sounds more like a ten cylinder engine. Still, the hybrid design does nothing for ambitious racers. BMW's eco-sports car shows other qualities. At up to 30 kilometers she hums futuristically in electric power. With a lot of power under the hood, yet to drive emission-free, makes the driver feel good. A feeling that the 911 can not provide. Logically, the 911 loses the duel of the AUTO BILD gas-consumption: The i8 drinks less than 5.6 liters per 100 kilo-meters, which is a new dimension to a 362-horsepower car. A dimension that redefines the sports car world.

Captions:
Sport mode provides the i8 maximum propulsion of two engines. Combustion and recuperate brake power. E-Boost empties the battery quickly.

7400 rps and 400 hp rage in the rear of the 911. The 3.8-liter naturally aspirated boxer is old school. The chrono function stores lap times.

The 911 against i8 is not a wind-tunnel duel. At the track, the i8 disappears in the Porsche's rear view mirror. At Oschersleben, he the BMW is four seconds per lap slower.

RATINGS:
Body
Quality
Seats / seat position
Features
Engine Features
Performance
Transmission
Sound
Ride comfort
Driving safety
Handling
Lap time
Steering
Brakes
Maintenance
Consumption
Price
Appreciation

POINT TOTAL: BMW i8 and Porsche 911 in comparison with other sports cars

RANKINGS (Max 300 points)
1st Porsche 911: Crisp Point victory for the classic. With perfect top performance and a high degree of everyday utility.

2nd BMW i8: Not the best times on the track, but avant-garde for fans on the hunt for a green sports car.

Final comment from the journalist: Ever since I can remember, I'm 911 fan. To me it was always the best sports car. This will remain so. Nevertheless, what has changed after this comparison is for the first time, the Porsche feels somehow like yesterday's car. The i8 points to the future. It has plenty of sports car fascination. Even if it is slower.
Attached Images