01-05-2014, 07:35 AM   #38
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carac View Post
I'd be surprised if they went to the trouble. They've done a LOT of work getting the system tuned to the 6-speed. Remember that they have two mechanically independent drivetrains, the front-drive, front-engine electric and rear drive, rear engine gas systems working in perfect sync. I'm sure a lot of R&D went into making sure the front and rear tires don't end up with mismatched speeds, and the loss of traction, spin, etc that would result. Not impossible, but with a car that's likely to be a loss-leader halo car to begin with, they might not want to spend more to re-engineer it before the follow-up.

hmmm....thx for the reply....what you said make sense.......I read a article somewhere about the 9 speed replacing the 6 speed. The article seemed legit as it stated BMW didn't have time to tune the 9 speed with the i8's sophisticated drive train and wouldn't be able to complete it on deadline. Again, what you said makes sense (R &D cost alot of money) but don't be surprised if this happens as it is a halo car and they would want to "show off" the best technology through this car.