View Single Post
      07-22-2015, 07:33 PM   #38
jadnashuanh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535iGT x-drive; i3 BEV

When Motorweek reviewed the 2015 i3, and also in their initial report in 2014 on the thing, they did not mention any issues with the steering. You can watch the segment, it's on-line. They did mention that they felt the grip on their lane change portion was limited by the tires, and their braking distance was longer than they thought, but they also said that their equipment got triggered by the regen that started as they lifted off the pedal, and the actual distance traveled while actually actively braking was hard to determine - the brakes can decelerate a lot faster than regen can, so there are likely at least a few feet (and maybe more) in the recorded distance.

FWIW, I've driven two, one when BMW was doing their roving drive introductions at the dealerships, and the one I eventually bought. I did not notice differences between the two, but that is a very small sample. If anything, the initial one I drove had probably a lot more miles and tougher ones, as people were beating on the things to try them out. I know that I got to about 83 on the entrance ramp of my initial tester before I looked down and realized I really should slow down! The car felt fine.

The weight distribution between the BEV and the REx isn't huge, but it is measurable. The front springs on the REx are softer to account for the leverage of the extra weight so that the front end on both versions stays the same (not sure about the shocks...they may be different, too). The GVW on the REx is lower, to account for that extra baggage you are always carrying around (one VERY substantial person, or more likely, two 'normal' people).
Appreciate 0