BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

05-18-2024, 01:36 PM   #1
Not_Sure
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Roadster

Harsh ICE Engine Engagement from EV Mode

When I am in EV mode and I give the car enough throttle it seem the ICE will kick in regardless. Its somewhat jarring when this happens. Its akin to slamming a manual transmission into gear with not enough, or no clutch. That cant be normal. I have a Fusion PHEV and it will turn the ICE engine on the same way if enough throttle is given in EV mode and while its noticeable, its far more subtle.

No errors or codes, but seems something is off for sure. The engine seems to run fine, my first guess is the transmission. Anyone else experience this?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2024, 07:21 PM   #2
Coastali8
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Crystal White Giga World

Garage List
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
1970 Porsche 914-6  [0.00]
2018 BMW i3s REx  [0.00]
That sounds a little abrupt but it is not much different than my experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2024, 05:22 AM   #3
billy.gif
Private
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

How much throttle, from a stand still?

I can verify that if under harsh / rapid acceleration, such like joining onto highway or such, when driver is demanding lots of power, sometimes the engaging of ICE is harsh.

But if driven on steady speeds and letting the ECU do its thing, sometimes its unnoticeable when car is switching from EV motor to ICE.

I believe its due that the car is so light and soundproofing etc. is kind of thin, at least compared to the full-size SUV's or sedans -> everything comes trough more harsh. 3400lbs vs 5500-7000lbs, its a big difference.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 09:08 PM   #4
Not_Sure
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy.gif View Post
How much throttle, from a stand still?

I can verify that if under harsh / rapid acceleration, such like joining onto highway or such, when driver is demanding lots of power, sometimes the engaging of ICE is harsh.

But if driven on steady speeds and letting the ECU do its thing, sometimes its unnoticeable when car is switching from EV motor to ICE.

I believe its due that the car is so light and soundproofing etc. is kind of thin, at least compared to the full-size SUV's or sedans -> everything comes trough more harsh. 3400lbs vs 5500-7000lbs, its a big difference.
Thanks for the replies.

Throttle in EV mode tends to want to slowly accelerate, if I apply what I would call moderate throttle to keep with more quickly accelerating traffic, I get the ICE thump and it does not feel normal at all. From outside the car its probably noticeable to other drivers. Probably looks like I have a manual transmission and slipped the clutch or forced a gear change.
Appreciate 0