BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

02-06-2024, 01:50 PM   #1
naty48
Rep
Drives: BMW IX 40

Question Need Advice: Water Noise in BMW iX 40 - Warranty Service Dilemmas

Hello Bimmerpost Community,

I'm facing a challenging issue with my BMW iX 40 (December 2022 build) that I hope some of you might have encountered and overcome. With just 4,500 KM on the clock, I started noticing a pronounced water noise from the left side bottom chassis, akin to a vehicle filled with water, which raises concerns about a potential water sealing defect.

Despite taking the car to authorized service centers for inspection and diagnostics, I've hit a roadblock. The technicians conducted sound checks and inspections but reported no diagnostic issues shown in the computer, thus excluding the problem from being addressed under warranty.

They've indicated that they do hear the water and suspect they may even penetrated the battery area, and requires further investigations which would lead to out-of-pocket expenses, which seems at odds with my understanding of warranty coverage.

Here’s what I’m dealing with:

BMW iX 40 with a distinct sound of water from the left side (underneath the driver side),
Vehicle is nearly new and is still covered by warranty until 12/2025.
Service centers have not provided a satisfactory resolution and hinted at potential costs for further diagnostics.

Seeking Your Insights:

Has anyone experienced similar issues with their vehicle, specifically water noise that sounds like it's coming from within the chassis?
How did you navigate the warranty service to ensure the problem was addressed?
Any advice on dealing with service centers or escalating the issue to get a proper diagnosis and resolution under warranty?
I am looking for any guidance or recommendations from fellow enthusiasts who might have faced similar issues.

Your experience and advice could greatly help me navigate this situation and find a resolution that ensures the vehicle is repaired under the warranty terms without unnecessary expenses.

Thank you for sharing your insights and advice!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 01:54 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Are you talking about a gurgling/bubbling sound?

If so, then yes I have had this on my IX for more than a year with several trips to the dealer. The only explanation they have received from Germany relates to the way the AC system works and that it's not a concern.
      02-06-2024, 02:42 PM   #3
Windshieldfarmer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW IX50

I can’t imagine why this would cost you anything to diagnose. Given what another poster shared, turn off the climate control system to see if the noise goes away. I wonder if there is air in the battery cooling/warming system.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 03:55 PM   #4
naty48
Rep

Hey,

So well this is most definitely nothing usual, I drove multiple other IX it's not happening there.. it's a Tub like sound with at least 100L of water.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2024, 04:55 PM   #5
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by naty48 View Post
Hey,

So well this is most definitely nothing usual, I drove multiple other IX it's not happening there.. it's a Tub like sound with at least 100L of water.
Did the dealership ensure that all of the rain water drainage ports are fully functional? Meaning not blocked up so they are unable to drain?

And another vote to ensure the A/C condensation is also draining properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2024, 12:06 PM   #6
naty48
Rep

They claimed that the car dont have water drianage ports and it shouldnt happen.. yet no one takes responsability.. I will probably end up paying..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2024, 08:14 PM   #7
LocalMAC
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW iX

I picked up a 2024 iX this December and am now having this same issue. On accelerating or decelerating and turning I hear a water sloshing sound. Mine is coming from the right rear of the vehicle. It's not just a little water but a bathtub full of water sloshing around.

I do keep my car out in the elements. The water isn't in the cabin or the trunk so it must be in some compartment underneath? Anyway I brought it into my local service dept and they were easily able to reproduce it. It is not normal! There's actually a service bulletin about it so it seems someone at BMW knows about it. First they've seen this at my dealership though.

Apparently it involves complex dismantling of parts and checking for leaks with water bottles? So I'll be without my car for awhile.
Appreciate 2