Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

09-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #1
Foodisfood
Rep
Drives: I8

Bmw i8 suspension question

For the i8, is the suspension adjustable? According to the dealership when i bought the car they said no and its a fixed rate suspension. But after driving it a while i noticed in sport mode the car is a tad bumpier than both comfort and eco. Also comfort seem to be more comfy than eco, i thought it would be the other way around.

Im not sure if im dreaming this or if the suspension does really become stiffer in sport and soft on comfort and in between for eco. Lemme know if you guys notice the difference as well or im just crazy hah

Ive had other cars and the difference are seem more night and day compared to this car (if it does have adjustable suspension)

Thanks! Itll help me sleep better at night lol

Last edited by Foodisfood; 09-02-2016 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
To my understanding it has adjustable suspension with each different driving mode.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 07:01 AM   #3
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Yes,I notice that when in Sport Mode the car is stiffer but doesn't feel like that you are driving a Land Rover Defender. I think the dealer referred to the suspension height or lowering when you put it in Sport Mode. Car always remains at the same ground clearance no matter.You can't adjust the suspension in terms of rising and lowering
      09-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Foodisfood
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivarox View Post
Yes,I notice that when in Sport Mode the car is stiffer but doesn't feel like that you are driving a Land Rover Defender. I think the dealer referred to the suspension height or lowering when you put it in Sport Mode. Car always remains at the same ground clearance no matter.You can't adjust the suspension in terms of rising and lowering
Ahh okay so i now know that i am not just imaging it. Do you also think that comfort mode is more comfortable than eco? I would think its the other way cause eco should be the laid back setting? This is my first time with a bmw of any sorts.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 01:36 PM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
It's just EDC (electronic damper control) at work. BMW has had this for a long time.

From what I can tell there are only two settings...comfort and sport. Pushing the Eco button doesn't affect EDC from what I can tell from the butt sensor.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2016, 04:11 PM   #6
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
There's a difference between what the i8 has - EDC - and an adjustable suspension, which would allow you to go in and modify the setting yourself, e.g. if you're about to go out on a track. In that sense, the i8 suspension is not adjustable, although it does firm up in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:24 AM   #7
Nivarox
Quadrex
Rep
Drives: W212 Mercedes=Benz E Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodisfood View Post
Ahh okay so i now know that i am not just imaging it. Do you also think that comfort mode is more comfortable than eco? I would think its the other way cause eco should be the laid back setting? This is my first time with a bmw of any sorts.
I honestly use Eco Pro when in congested city traffic and if I'm not using E-Dive other than that I don't use it at all .
I feel like Comfort Mode is a tad comfortable than Eco Pro .I might be wrong too .The difference is minimal between Comfort Mode vs Eco Pro than that of Comfort Mode vs Sport Mode
      09-05-2016, 01:07 PM   #8
hytek
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: i8, 335i

I've also noticed that Eco Pro is bumpier than comfort. Maybe the suspension is made less active to save power?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 11:01 PM   #9
Foodisfood
Rep

Yep ive been testing it and for sure comfort is much less bumpier than eco mode especially on LA roads and the freeways. Its more cushy and a lot more body roll than eco mode and it feels more floaty like especially on freeways.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:09 PM   #10
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

What technology is used to firm up the suspension in sport mode? Is it a magnetic ride suspension or a valved control?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #11
mikikuki7
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Searching for X6M or M8

You know what I think te crazy? The dealers always lie and tell you things so they don't have to follow up. I learn to distrust every person at a delegar. Especially the ones at BMW. They tell you what you want to hear.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 09:23 PM   #12
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

The adaptive suspension micro-adjusts to data from wheel movements. Fantastic technology that is infinitely programmable, including individualized learning and GPS capabilities (the i8 does not presently have that software). The i8 has several 'modes', similar to the adaptive suspension in the f80 M3 and some other models. The dampening algorithms are different when in sport, eco, comfort. Unlike the M3, the programs for throttle response, shifting, and dampening are not selected independently, but instead are 'packaged' together.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 10:49 PM   #13
Ghetto2315
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
You know what I think te crazy? The dealers always lie and tell you things so they don't have to follow up. I learn to distrust every person at a delegar. Especially the ones at BMW. They tell you what you want to hear.
Easy there! You just haven't worked with the right person at a dealer. Not every person at a BMW dealer is bad, dishonest or unknowledgeable . I hope one day, just one day, you get to work with me
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:04 AM   #14
NGR
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: i8

I used to have a Bangle-Butt 745i with the dynamic suspension - different approach to the i8 in that it altered the anti-roll bars (sway bars I believe you would call them in the US) - the result was a still comfortable ride but body roll much reduced in sport mode and the car wouldn't 'dive' even under the hardest braking.

BMW claimed they could eliminate roll completely but didn't because the driver needed a sensation of being near the edge when cornering!

I can't help thinking adjustable dampers is a cheaper way of doing things but the i8 doesn't really have body roll anyway
      08-01-2019, 07:48 AM   #15
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl1145 View Post
What technology is used to firm up the suspension in sport mode? Is it a magnetic ride suspension or a valved control?
By default, the suspension is firm. In sport mode, the electromagnet in the top of the shock is not energized, and only 1 valve is active, slowing the hydraulic fluid from passing the valve. In Comfort/Eco-Pro/eDrive, the electromagnet in the top of the shock is energized, opening another valve, in addition to the "Sport" valve, to allow more hydraulic fluid to flow.
Appreciate 1
JasH621.00
      08-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #16
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
By default, the suspension is firm. In sport mode, the electromagnet in the top of the shock is not energized, and only 1 valve is active, slowing the hydraulic fluid from passing the valve. In Comfort/Eco-Pro/eDrive, the electromagnet in the top of the shock is energized, opening another valve, in addition to the "Sport" valve, to allow more hydraulic fluid to flow.
Makes sense. 2 modes, as I understood. And a pretty simple setup.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2019, 04:47 PM   #17
ghaffari46
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikikuki7 View Post
Because most of the people at dealerships are not car freaks like people on this forum. Most of them are just salesmen or saleswomen whose job to sale as much as they could as fast as possible. In more than one case I ended up to educate them about the specifics of the car that I'm buying from them!
Appreciate 0