Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

05-05-2022, 07:44 PM   #1
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

Question Black vs. Storm Bay Metallic - M60

About to submit my order on an iX M60 and am debating between Black or Storm Bay Metallic.

I traditionally prefer Black and in this case am leaning towards it even more to help hide the exterior aesthetics (lol) but have liked Storm Bay on other models.

Hard to decide because of the lack of photos. Hoping someone who has seen both can provide more insight.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 08:34 PM   #2
hugo_nz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW iX Xdrive40 MSport

Garage List
2022 BMW IX  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3heaven View Post
About to submit my order on an iX M60 and am debating between Black or Storm Bay Metallic.

I traditionally prefer Black and in this case am leaning towards it even more to help hide the exterior aesthetics (lol) but have liked Storm Bay on other models.

Hard to decide because of the lack of photos. Hoping someone who has seen both can provide more insight.
As someone who really doesn't mind the exterior design of the IX I find it amusing that people would choose a colour to hide the "exterior aesthetics" of the car. Why buy a car in the first place when you are not happy with the looks?

It's like buying a Samsung phone because you don't like iPhone and then using an iOS themed launcher.

As for the colour though, I think the iX looks great in SBM and would pick it over black.
      05-05-2022, 08:41 PM   #3
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugo_nz View Post
As someone who really doesn't mind the exterior design of the IX I find it amusing that people would choose a colour to hide the "exterior aesthetics" of the car. Why buy a car in the first place when you are not happy with the looks?

It's like buying a Samsung phone because you don't like iPhone and then using an iOS themed launcher.

As for the colour though, I think the iX looks great in SBM and would pick it over black.
I don't hate the exterior but there are certain aspects of it that look better "hidden" then emphasized that certain colors do.

I focus on the driving experience and interior aspect of most cars because that's what you actually feel and use everyday than how the exterior looks.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 12:39 AM   #4
djse60
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50 Sport

I originally was dead set on Storm Bay, but ended up ordering Dark Graphite instead. I liked storm bay in the shade when it looked gray, but didn't like it as much in the sunlight when it looked light blue.

DJ
2024 BMW iX50 11/18 - Retired 2022 BMW iX50 - 2019 BMW X5 50i - 2017 BMW i7 - 2015 750Lxi Indiv -2014 650xi GC - 2013 AH3 - 2011 550xi GT - 09 335i Vert - 08 M3 Sedan - 08 535i - 04 330Ci ZHP - 04 M3 CIC LSB
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 11:41 AM   #5
m3heaven
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by djse60 View Post
I originally was dead set on Storm Bay, but ended up ordering Dark Graphite instead. I liked storm bay in the shade when it looked gray, but didn't like it as much in the sunlight when it looked light blue.
That's good to know that Storm Bay looks light blue in the sun. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #6
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X5 40e

We were considering a number of different colours but finally settled on Dark Graphite. The others all had lighting conditions that made them look disappointing. Even though they each looked really good in certain lighting, the consistantly good looks of the DGM won us over. DGM also blends well with the sport package gloss black lower body bits and we went with black trim, not the bronze.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #7
TXSchnee
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 XM

I chose Oxide Gray Metallic for mine. Have Phytonic Blue on my X3 and it is a really nice color, but want something different. I was initially worried about the goldish undertones to the oxide gray, but there are a lot of pics on the M3 forum which helped me decide. I think forum searching on here can really help with color choices.
2020 Porsche Cayenne E Hybrid (sold)
2018 X3 M40i (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 12:02 PM   #8
noushy
///M Fan
Rep
Drives: M8 Comp, X5M Comp, iX M60

I dont mind the exterior (ie the front) but my oldest son hates the beaver teeth. He picked out the specs and choose BS as the color that best goes with the curves and lines and front end. BMW could have made it a bit more traditional but choose not to.

Noushy
2023 Audi RS6 Avant Daytona Gray/Black
2024 BMW X5M Comp Brooklyn Gray/Taruma Brown, Titanium Exhaust on order
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 03:15 PM   #9
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noushy View Post
I dont mind the exterior (ie the front) but my oldest son hates the beaver teeth. He picked out the specs and choose BS as the color that best goes with the curves and lines and front end. BMW could have made it a bit more traditional but choose not to.

Noushy
I almost went with BS for the same reason, but I've had black before and I can't go back to the maintenance of a black car. We eventually settled on the Dark Graphite with black trim.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 03:22 PM   #10
djse60
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird~Dawg View Post
I almost went with BS for the same reason, but I've had black before and I can't go back to the maintenance of a black car. We eventually settled on the Dark Graphite with black trim.
That is exactly what I ordered dark enough but not black.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 06:20 PM   #11
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Love dark graphite aka sophisto gray, the color of our x3m we just didnt want two vehicles with the same color again as we have two vehicles in marina bay blue as well.

Noushy
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 06:58 PM   #12
Bird~Dawg
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Love dark graphite aka sophisto gray, the color of our x3m we just didnt want two vehicles with the same color again as we have two vehicles in marina bay blue as well.

Noushy
I didn't have that problem. My wife's car is pearl white so Dark Graphite/Sophisto is a nice contrast for us. I love marina bay blue, btw, couldn't quite get there with the phytonic blue offered on the iX.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 08:42 PM   #13
noushy
///M Fan
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
I didn't have that problem. My wife's car is pearl white so Dark Graphite/Sophisto is a nice contrast for us. I love marina bay blue, btw, couldn't quite get there with the phytonic blue offered on the iX.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Noushy
Hard to see but here are our three M cars, the X3M is dark graphite
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:49 PM   #14
TrainingCaptain
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

I wonder if IX will look good with a matte ppf wrap. I have a phytonic blue order, I think that will get too bright if wrapped.
Appreciate 0