Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i8 Forums BMW i8 General Discussion

07-15-2022, 01:39 PM   #23
F5506m
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8

2019 Coupe is definitely stiffer in ride compared to my old 2016.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 05:57 AM   #24
MolarBear
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW i8 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachbar View Post
This was discussed here several times. But I haven't heard of one, who actually has done it. I think, it's not possible.
I've looked into this, and I reckon it definitely is possible. The 'airflow' being redirected, as far as I can see, involved perforating the plastic cover. The Non LCI cover is non perforated. It didn't seem particularly sophisticated. On top of this, on the LCI they decided to insulate the with a heatshield on the 12v battery to stop it from cooking. It looks very doable, and if anything appears it will increase cooling. I just won't, because I'm still in warranty and therefore would not want any expensive claims to be rejected because of a mod that would only be for aesthetics, largely!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2022, 08:25 AM   #25
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
There are minor differences in Euro compared to USA changes to LCI. The major changes for all markets involve a stiffer chassis, suspension, battery. The weight difference is less than 40 lbs. The 516 wheels are a couple pounds lighter, so the weight tradeoff is not an issue IMO. The electric motor is slightly upgraded to produce 12 more hp. The big differences are in electric range -- 35 miles / 18 miles -- and suspension. 2019+ handle significantly better in sport mode.

A trivial note: The added braces in the LCI coupe are not simply 'to standardize production with the roadster'. They could easily be left off in production. The development for the roadster made the addition to the coupe cost effective (standardizing production being part of that), with benefits to chassis stiffening allowing for changes to suspension, and reduction of issues related to flex (perhaps including windshield problems). The braces are analogous to a shock tower brace that reduces flex. BMW does not add weight to a performance car without functional reason.
BMW themselves stated in Leipzig on the tour that the steel brace underneath was solely for production simplicity as the coupe was always rigid enough. It’s losing the roof that made the car not rigid enough.

Same as with the airflow changes on new coupe. Only done for production simplicity.

Confirmed by those who developed the car, to a group of i8 owners in Leipzig.

I can’t comment on USA vs Euro differences however.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2022, 08:36 AM   #26
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Braces on LCI coupe/roadster

Our sources tell slightly different stories. I do not recommend that LCI coupe owners remove the braces to save weight.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #27
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Let's not forget the badge on the side of the car, letting you know the car is a coupe or a roadster!
I think this started in 2019, when the roadster came out.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 09:52 PM   #28
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

no one mentioned PIW: Pure Impulse World for the 2014-2015 i8s had the beautiful... basically white, smooth, merino leather interior and full leather everywhere else, with the cutesy blue seatbelts. AFAIK, that was a limited edition interior that could only be had in 2014 and 2015.

And the early ones= no laser headlight option. I believe that started in 2016? I bought used, last year, So, for me I had to choose: Laser headlights, or gorgeous interior? I choose gorgeous.
Appreciate 1