08-08-2022, 12:30 PM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

curious on the i8

just wondering, excuse my coming over from the dark side

I've been watching a lot of youtube vids and for a long time the i8 especially the roadster was on my bucket list/lottery list to buy

But I'm not seeing any i8's on the bmw.ca used section and I know that BMW stopped making them as well.

not sure about buying 2nd hand with no warranty and also a lot of blogs were saying negative things about the car, design , form all awesome but some very particular quirks (and I'm being kind)

just wondering as owners your thoughts on the car, your feedback and service from BMW

would you buy the car again, knowing what you know now

and should it still be on my bucket list ?

txs
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 03:20 PM   #2
Redbullah
Rep
Drives: 2019 i8 roadster

I leased a 2017 coupe and at my end of lease bought a 2019 roadster.
Love driving my car, I get lots of compliments and thumbs up. Valet guys allow me to park my own car next to the Lambos and Ferraris. I do get lots of haters (Dodge, Ford and Chevy ) owners pushing me in to racing them, which it's something that never happens when I'm driving my wife's family car which happens to be a Tesla plaid, nor will the Valet guys allow me to park the Tesla next to the other high end cars.
I'm planning on keeping my Roadster for as long as possible
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 03:41 PM   #3
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbullah View Post
I leased a 2017 coupe and at my end of lease bought a 2019 roadster.
Love driving my car, I get lots of compliments and thumbs up. Valet guys allow me to park my own car next to the Lambos and Ferraris. I do get lots of haters (Dodge, Ford and Chevy ) owners pushing me in to racing them, which it's something that never happens when I'm driving my wife's family car which happens to be a Tesla plaid, nor will the Valet guys allow me to park the Tesla next to the other high end cars.
I'm planning on keeping my Roadster for as long as possible
I'm exactly in the same situation; except they are changing 50% of my batteries after 2 years/10k miles 🤣…but I wouldn't worry too much about it, the batteries come with 10 years standard warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 09:33 PM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

but what about after the 10 year has run out ?
2nd hand 2nd user cpo car etc
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 09:34 PM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

scratch that, that would be 2027 LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2022, 09:55 PM   #6
fbuzila
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
scratch that, that would be 2027 LOL
Probably I will sell it when my extended warranty expires…will see… I have enough time to think about it; what I know for sure is I cannot find a similar car at this price range these days….
Appreciate 1
nazali1338.50
      08-09-2022, 08:06 AM   #7
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

I live in Switzerland, but a new complete battery pack costs 10k in Germany. I would invest this after 10 years. There's nothing out there like the i8. So no other options for me. I used to be the guy, who changed cars every other year.
Appreciate 1
nazali1338.50
      08-09-2022, 08:23 AM   #8
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

appreciate all the replies and thoughts !
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2022, 02:06 PM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Great car.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 02:48 AM   #10
zorgzx
Private First Class
Denmark
Rep
Drives: I8 Coupe

Its a fantastic car. But it is no supercar, nor does it pull your heartstrings immediately like a lambo or 911.

I've had my 2014 for 5 years ish, and love it, can't sell it as its just so enjoyable, beautifull and fuctional that I like it even more every year.

I recently tried to replace it with a 991gt3touring, and a corvette. Both failed, in the end I decided to keep the i8 as it is now starting to climb in value.. finally.

Had the petrol engine blow up due to poor design of the oil filter mount, replacement was no terribly expensive.

Everything works, and the battery still has the same range. When It dies I'll just get another one for it.

I dont think the i8 is a bucket list car, but it is a better everyday sports car than a 911. Besides my wife loves to drive it and talk about it at gasstations.
Appreciate 1
Nachbar8027.50
      08-12-2022, 04:43 AM   #11
Nachbar
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorgzx View Post
Its a fantastic car. But it is no supercar, nor does it pull your heartstrings immediately like a lambo or 911.

I've had my 2014 for 5 years ish, and love it, can't sell it as its just so enjoyable, beautifull and fuctional that I like it even more every year.

I recently tried to replace it with a 991gt3touring, and a corvette. Both failed, in the end I decided to keep the i8 as it is now starting to climb in value.. finally.

Had the petrol engine blow up due to poor design of the oil filter mount, replacement was no terribly expensive.

Everything works, and the battery still has the same range. When It dies I'll just get another one for it.

I dont think the i8 is a bucket list car, but it is a better everyday sports car than a 911. Besides my wife loves to drive it and talk about it at gasstations.
You are right. The i8 is the first car, which I love more each year.
I had a 911 GT3 as well. I don't know how it's in the US, but here in Switzerland (and Germany), if you drive a 911, 50% of the people think you're an @sshole, rich born, gangsta etc. 911's have really bad reputation over here. That's completely different with the i8. Haven't met a hater ever.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 05:48 AM   #12
ericsi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: On my 2nd i8 already

Had 2 coupe's from 2014, then swapped the last one i owned for a new roadster in early 2020 purely based on the number produced and potential to retain value (not even thinking appreciation).

Either coupes or roadster are great cars. They have their pro's and con's. I love my roadster, it's so soothing and relaxing car. If necessary it can be very quick too. I once looked at a McL 720s to replace it, went for a test drive and thought: what's the point on the road? Far. far too powerful to be enjoyable. Too big, too 'visible', just too much.
The i8 has a great balance of everything: outlandish looks, quality, performance, cruising abilities, the economy is just the cherry on top.

Recently took delivery of a 992 gts. This is a serious piece of kit but again, it is a harder car, it does not flow down the road like the i8 does.

I plan to keep the i8 for a while longer...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 09:22 AM   #13
eye 8
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

I just joined this forum and this discussion because I had to weigh in on my experience so far with this car. I have been a car fanatic since my youth and am now on my 145th vehicle....the BMW i8 Roadster. Up to this time, I have gotten bored with a car after just a few months, but after nine months of ownership so far, I am still intrigued with my i8 every day. I especially like the unique styling combined with the great running economy, and the typical German build quality. In the past two years alone, I have owned two Teslas, two C8 mid-engine Corvettes, a Porsche Taycan 4S, and an Audi e-tron GT, but the BMW i8 is by far my favorite. My only wish so far was that it was all electric but hopefully that may come in a future offering from BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2022, 12:45 PM   #14
BigT
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: I12 i8 Coupe / I01 i3 120Ah

I had a 2014 coupe with over 75t miles already until recently. I only sold it because I thought with that mileage I could just about get a good price, which I did. After our move next year I will buy a low mileage roadster.
The important thing is just to follow Pat's tips and always have a few thousand up front just in case.
The car is not very fault-prone, but a complex and very compact build, which makes repairs expensive. But it’s absolutely unique in so many ways and just a dream to drive.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2022, 12:47 AM   #15
thesubmitter
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Tesla M3 BMW i8 Acura MDX

I leased my i8 2019 and then bought it out (it had about 20k net equity). For me the coupe is almost the perfect daily driver…. I can be cheap and go full EV or go sport for kicks, it’s tracking and stability at high speeds are great. The 2019 has CarPlay for that small convenience factor, I am not a fan of cars that are too rough or noisy and practically speaking the car is fast enough for daily driving.

Being awd and seating 2 kids in a pinch makes it suit my situation perfectly.

I was a bit unhappy with the stock wheels and tires but that was easily fixed.

In any given 15 min period someone will take a photo of the car or make a comment. I also get asked periodically by people what do I do for a living lol….

I love driving it, love looking at it. A true pleasure.

People who haven’t driven it have a hard time understanding why it’s so good because 0-60 isn’t as good as alternatives. But a great car is more than that.

There is a reasons Jeremy Clarkson rated it so highly
Appreciate 0