04-13-2024, 10:33 AM   #1
RiversPhoto
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 iX, '18 X1

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
Tesla Magic Dock experience

I drive from Mass to Princeton, NJ and back every three weeks and this past trip used three different Tesla Superchargers with Magic Docks and one EA charge. The Superchargers are incredibly easy to use with the Tesla app on my phone. Importantly, there was no waiting and the max charging rate hit 180+ kW immediately with an appropriate fall off in speed for the SOC. The locations of the chargers are easy to find with snacks and bathrooms nearby.

The EA experiences were the usual cluster. Broken charger with two waiting ahead of me so I couldn't charge and another with no bathroom at a bank parking lot.

I don't care if I have to pay for electrons, the Tesla experience is so far advanced that I will prefer them from now on.
Appreciate 4
      04-13-2024, 11:25 AM   #2
NomoTesla
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW iX50

Tesla recently "uncorked" their magic docks to allow a full 500A instead of the 350A previously. That explains why you hit 180+ kW. Previous to this update the most the Magic Docks could theoretically output to an iX was around 140 kW. At 500A the Magic Dock should be able to max out at 200 kW.
Appreciate 3
      04-14-2024, 11:16 AM   #3
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW IX, BMW X3, Toyota Tacoma

Visited the new magic dock Tesla chargers nearby in Red Hook today. Took me s bit of fiddling to get the app & open a Tesla Supercharger account (i've avoided this and Teslaspeak till now) and get the adaptor/cable successfully unhooked & I had a successful charging session.
Seemed a bit slow, 105 KW max down to 80 at 70%.SOC.
Only one other vehicle charging & a few older trucks parked but not connected for Hanneford grocery shoppers.
Not inspiring, but I'm glad my iX is set up to use their system as & when convenient.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 12:18 PM   #4
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTARR View Post
Visited the new magic dock Tesla chargers nearby in Red Hook today. Took me s bit of fiddling to get the app & open a Tesla Supercharger account (i've avoided this and Teslaspeak till now) and get the adaptor/cable successfully unhooked & I had a successful charging session.
Only one other vehicle charging & a few older trucks parked but not connected for Hanneford grocery shoppers.
Not inspiring, but I'm glad my iX is set up to use their system as & when convenient.
You started charging at what SOC?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 09:23 PM   #5
ricerboi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i, G30 M550i, iX 50i

Garage List
2021 BMW M550i  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 50i  [0.00]
2022 BMW iX 50i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiversPhoto View Post
I drive from Mass to Princeton, NJ and back every three weeks and this past trip used three different Tesla Superchargers with Magic Docks and one EA charge. The Superchargers are incredibly easy to use with the Tesla app on my phone. Importantly, there was no waiting and the max charging rate hit 180+ kW immediately with an appropriate fall off in speed for the SOC. The locations of the chargers are easy to find with snacks and bathrooms nearby.

The EA experiences were the usual cluster. Broken charger with two waiting ahead of me so I couldn't charge and another with no bathroom at a bank parking lot.

I don't care if I have to pay for electrons, the Tesla experience is so far advanced that I will prefer them from now on.
Curious as to the price/kWh on the magic docks. My free EA is almost coming to an end so I might as well make my roadtrips more bearable using SC instead of EA.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:31 PM   #6
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I joined the Tesla charging plan today, it cost around 15 or 20 bucks to join. So my dock charging was $0.36 / kwh plus tax came to $0.39 total. 28kwh for $10.92 for 17 minutes on the wire.
Without the plan it would have been a bunch more. I think over 50 cents.
Appreciate 1
ricerboi908.00
      04-15-2024, 06:31 AM   #7
RiversPhoto
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 iX, '18 X1

Garage List
2024 BMW iX  [0.00]
Brewster, NY $0.53/kW at 5:40 PM weekday

Edison, NJ $0.47 at 9 PM weekday

Mahwah, NJ $0.35 at 7 AM weekday

Provincetown, MA $0.50 at 10 AM weekday

I don't have a plan.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 07:38 AM   #8
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
You started charging at what SOC?
around 50%
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:16 AM   #9
Barry123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW iX50

Quote:
Any issues with the charging port being on the other side? Did you have to use the charger in the bay adjacent to where you parked?
      04-15-2024, 09:34 AM   #10
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
around 50%
based on the charging curve of the iX, 105 is what you would be getting at like 75% SOC so something was going on. To know if the charger was the problem, you need to look at the //// slashes on the display while charging to see whether you are being limited by the car or the charger (i.e. if you were right up against the slashes, then it was the charger, if not, the car was not asking for the power for whatever reason, either cold battery or limited by the charging curve).

Last edited by ggalanis; 04-15-2024 at 09:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
JSTARR190.00
      04-15-2024, 09:38 AM   #11
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

At the new Red Hook magic dock, there was a charger on the island between the ends of each two parking spots. These were accessible from either side of the island that the chargers were on. It gave 4 possible parking spots for each charger. It was a convenient & pretty well thought out install
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 09:56 AM   #12
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggalanis View Post
based on the charging curve of the iX, 105 is what you would be getting at like 75% SOC so something was going on. To know if the charger was the problem, you need to look at the //// slashes on the display while charging to see whether you are being limited by the car or the charger (i.e. if you were right up against the slashes, then it was the charger, if not, the car was not asking for the power for whatever reason, either cold battery or limited by the charging curve).
It was below the slashes. I did not condition, but I had been driving around for about an hour & it was a spur of the moment stop off to see if I could get it to work.
Appreciate 1
ggalanis2535.00
      04-15-2024, 10:55 AM   #13
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
It was below the slashes. I did not condition, but I had been driving around for about an hour & it was a spur of the moment stop off to see if I could get it to work.
well depending on the ambient temps around there at the time it may have needed the battery to be a bit warmer to get the full power the car could handle at that SOC. Hard to know since BMW hides the relevant info from us.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 12:12 PM   #14
JSTARR
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll want to understand how to optimize charging speed & efficiency.
Right now I'm still working my way down my first list of stuff to learn and skills to improve. My setup evolves every time I drive. And I get confused when switching back & forth from iX to X3. And then I screw up my wife when I change parameters on the X3.
Being able to DC charge on various networks & have accounts active seems an essential step to move in the iX beyond home & destination charging. EA with charge & Go I'm working on, Shell Recharge is set & FLO. It seems that new options are popping up weekly.
I need to experiment with Apple maps & Waze & other route planners in carplay & see what they offer. BMW nav seems limiting, but even there I haven't yet tried all it's options.
IDrive stuff, I discover new shortcuts & things that I should have realized sooner. Having augmented road images activated in the instrument cluster is an important part og DAPP functions, duh...Different modes affect the legibility of navigation screens. Its possible to declutter the HUD etc etc. I can magically add range with levels of efficiency when more miles are needed.
It gets better the more time I spend experimenting.
Appreciate 0