BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

04-15-2024, 02:46 PM   #1
artooks
Rep
Drives: BMW 3.20 ED

PPF or Ceramic for my new IX

Hi,

Everyone,

I am hopefully going collect my car next week latest. I am trying to make a decision to protect the paint of the car, by doing a ppf or ceramic coating. The brand that they use is "Stek Dynoshield" which is a good brand as far as I know, but the problem with ppf coating which bugs my mind is.

1)How the people are going to install it, I have heard that in some places, they cut it over the car which can create razor lines.
2) they disassemble parts in order to do it, which I do not like but necessary
3) They use heat gun to form the coating, I do not know if it can alter the paint

Maybe I am exaggerating but these are the possible drawbacks I guess, but with ceramic coating everything is much simpler but less protection, what do you think about this ? What did you do when you first bought your car ? her in Turkey there is a huge VAT on cars that is why we pay a lot of money to own them, and also there is no lease alternative which make car investment an important one, I will definitely use this car for 5-6 years maybe more, therefore I would like to make a good decision on how to proceed, I appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 03:21 PM   #2
thebishman
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘24 iX M60

Just make sure that the installer has a good reputation and has been in business for quite some time. Get at the very least, the front clip and mirrors protected. Seriously consider covering the glass roof if so equipped.

PPF will protect the bodywork; Ceramic will only make it easier to keep clean. If keeping the car for a long time, I know what I’d choose.

Btw: every painted body panel and Black plastic panel on my car is covered in PPF:
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-15-2024, 03:53 PM   #3
ggalanis
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX 50, 1989 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by artooks View Post
Hi,

Everyone,

I am hopefully going collect my car next week latest. I am trying to make a decision to protect the paint of the car, by doing a ppf or ceramic coating. The brand that they use is "Stek Dynoshield" which is a good brand as far as I know, but the problem with ppf coating which bugs my mind is.

1)How the people are going to install it, I have heard that in some places, they cut it over the car which can create razor lines.
2) they disassemble parts in order to do it, which I do not like but necessary
3) They use heat gun to form the coating, I do not know if it can alter the paint

Maybe I am exaggerating but these are the possible drawbacks I guess, but with ceramic coating everything is much simpler but less protection, what do you think about this ? What did you do when you first bought your car ? her in Turkey there is a huge VAT on cars that is why we pay a lot of money to own them, and also there is no lease alternative which make car investment an important one, I will definitely use this car for 5-6 years maybe more, therefore I would like to make a good decision on how to proceed, I appreciate any help on this matter. Thanks.
Many places do not do a good enough job with their PPF films and you can see the edges that don't cover 100% of the panels when looking up close, say at the distance where you would see rock chips. Definitely look at their work or base it on rep. The good ones are pricy because doing it right takes more time.

I don't do any of this on my daily driven cars cause I don't see the point, and don't care enough about the exterior being pristine to warrant the cost.
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2024, 10:33 AM   #4
Paladin1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 iX xDrive50, DGM

Garage List
A good detailer is the key, and both products do very different things, as noted. As a side note, ceramic is sometimes used after PPF is applied (over the PPF) to make cleaning easier and provide extra UV protection.
Appreciate 2