BMW iX Forums BMW iX Discussions

05-20-2024, 03:09 PM   #1
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Remote services not working

I have a 2023 IX 50 running iDrive 8, software version 11/2023.58.

The myBMW app works fine to show state of charge, trip history, vehicle location, tire pressure etc., but whenever I try to send a command to the car to lock or unlock the doors, run climatization, change charging settings etc., the command inevitably fails.

It worked fine up until a month or so ago, but just stopped working all of a sudden. I don't use the functionality every day, so I'm not 100% sure exactly when it stopped working, but it's possible it was after a remote software update.

I checked and re-checked the data privacy settings in the car and poked around the menus generally, but didn't see anything that was clearly wrong.

Is there a setting in the car I should be checking? Any other thoughts on how I can get this working without having to go to the dealer?
Appreciate 1
LVBMW2364.00
      05-20-2024, 03:16 PM   #2
LVBMW
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 iX M60 '23 Tesla Model Y-P

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
I have a 2023 IX 50 running iDrive 8, software version 11/2023.58.

The myBMW app works fine to show state of charge, trip history, vehicle location, tire pressure etc., but whenever I try to send a command to the car to lock or unlock the doors, run climatization, change charging settings etc., the command inevitably fails.

It worked fine up until a month or so ago, but just stopped working all of a sudden. I don't use the functionality every day, so I'm not 100% sure exactly when it stopped working, but it's possible it was after a remote software update.

I checked and re-checked the data privacy settings in the car and poked around the menus generally, but didn't see anything that was clearly wrong.

Is there a setting in the car I should be checking? Any other thoughts on how I can get this working without having to go to the dealer?
I generally only use the remote camera view function, and it invariably fails on the first attempt but then works on the second attempt. Definitely check to make sure the privacy settings are set to the most liberal option which it seems like you did. You could try rebooting iDrive. The app is definitely known to have intermittent and random failures of different functions.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2024, 04:53 PM   #3
SignMD
Private
Rep
Drives: 23 iX50, 23 Mercedes EQE 500

Does the vehicle have a connection inside? For example, does the weather show? Can you use Spotify, update apps function, etc? I had the same problem you have but also no connectivity inside the vehicle. I just got it back after 2 weeks at the dealer, the issue was a bad telematics control unit. See attached.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
LVBMW2364.00
      05-20-2024, 04:57 PM   #4
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignMD View Post
Does the vehicle have a connection inside? For example, does the weather show? Can you use Spotify, update apps function, etc? I had the same problem you have but also no connectivity inside the vehicle. I just got it back after 2 weeks at the dealer, the issue was a bad telematics control unit. See attached.
I’ll check some in car apps to confirm, but I assume the comms are working given in the app I can see the car’s state of charge, trip data, location, tire pressures etc.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 04:54 PM   #5
LowerEast
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Just to update on this….

I went through a bunch of trouble shooting stuff with the BMW support people, much of which I’d already tried myself. None of it worked, so at their suggestion I booked it in for a service appointment.

About a week later, the services randomly came back on line and worked for a couple of weeks, before then malfunctioning again, and then coming back.

I dropped it off for service yesterday and gave the service advisor the back story. They opened a case with bmw and 2 days later, they still have my car and will have it through the weekend. Hopefully they can figure it out.

They gave me an I5 M60 as a loaner, so at least I have a nice car to drive around in while I’m waiting.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2024, 05:31 PM   #6
deutsch100
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i760, M8 Cmp, M3 Cmp, 911 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerEast View Post
Just to update on this….

I went through a bunch of trouble shooting stuff with the BMW support people, much of which I’d already tried myself. None of it worked, so at their suggestion I booked it in for a service appointment.

About a week later, the services randomly came back on line and worked for a couple of weeks, before then malfunctioning again, and then coming back.

I dropped it off for service yesterday and gave the service advisor the back story. They opened a case with bmw and 2 days later, they still have my car and will have it through the weekend. Hopefully they can figure it out.

They gave me an I5 M60 as a loaner, so at least I have a nice car to drive around in while I’m waiting.
When my iX50 acted the way yours did, the dealer found a ton of fault codes in the telematics unit. 2 days later they either replaced the telematics unit, or cleared and cleaned....and all remote services came back and stayed functional.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2024, 06:32 AM   #7
SteveX3M40i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW iX40MSport

Hi,
Ours stopped responding to remote switching of the AC system (essential in Abu Dhabi as temperature is regularly 47 degrees C recently).
Firstly, I noticed that the privacy “allow all” was unticked on idrive (after a recent remote car apps update).
This did not cure the problem.
I then did an idrive reset by holding down the volume button in the centre console for about a minute (the main screen goes blank and reboots).
This cured the problem.
Now I can switch on the AC remotely 10 minutes before we venture out into the heat.
Cheers
Steve

2019 X3M40i - gone!
2023 iX40MSport
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004742.00
      06-29-2024, 08:28 AM   #8
cunny
Rep
Drives: BMW IX

I had a similar problem and it was also cured with a reset as above.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004742.00
      06-29-2024, 07:44 PM   #9
fivemegabytes
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX, 2018 F82 M4

Happened this morning to me too. Car says no server connection and app hasn't updated in two days. iDrive reboots alone didn't fix it. But putting in diagnostic mode (3 clicks on start/stop) and then iDrive reboot with volume button long press fixed it.

This is the second time this has happened this month. I probably have a bad telematics unit too and will book a dealer service soon.
Appreciate 1
deutsch1004742.00
      08-14-2024, 10:21 AM   #10
colox5
colo45e
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 xDrive45e (2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivemegabytes View Post
Happened this morning to me too. Car says no server connection and app hasn't updated in two days. iDrive reboots alone didn't fix it. But putting in diagnostic mode (3 clicks on start/stop) and then iDrive reboot with volume button long press fixed it.

This is the second time this has happened this month. I probably have a bad telematics unit too and will book a dealer service soon.
We just experienced the same issue with my wife's iX. We were on a roadtrip last week and all of a sudden the car just seemed to lose its connection with BMW's cloud/server. None of the apps or anything that required an internet connection in the car was working & the App was stuck in time. We could do anything with the app for the iX (see current charge, issue commands, so location of the car etc). BMW suggested we bring it and then were quick to replace the telematics control unit. Picking it up tomorrow but assuming this fixes it. Rather than trying the various troubleshooting out there, I might suggest for anyone in the future that has this issue that they just take it in and let BMW sort it out.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2024, 01:34 PM   #11
ubercruise
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX 50

Mine's currently in the shop getting the module replaced as well for the same issue. Would like to get it back today and hope everything will be functional again, but my service advisor appears to be totally unfamiliar with the car in general and not understanding what I'm saying so it might take another day.
      08-17-2024, 05:17 PM   #12
yrplace
Rep
Drives: bmw ix 50

Our 2024 IX has repeatedly had the remote functions- doors ac pre conditioning etc- fail as well as the emergency call system.On the 1st trip to the dealer they replaced the comm card, but the 2nd time they said the new card had overheated because the car got to hot siting outside (LA 95 degrees) and BMW claims that is normal which I think is absurd. Because they claim it is normal and due to the temperature in the car BMW has done nothing to fix the problem. Waiting to see if they will offer us a replacement car before starting the long process of having a lawyer file a lemon law complaint.
I would add that the system can be reset, but will fail again, and it isn't always when the car has been in the sun. It has also happened after the car has been under a car port for a few days.
Appreciate 0