BMW i
Forum for the BMW i3, i4 and i8
BMW i3 BMW i8
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW i Forums > BMW i3 / i4 Forums > BMW i3 and BMW i4 General Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-16-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,386
iTrader: (0)

Post Report: BMW i3 Price and Specs - $35k, 150HP, 160 mile range

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Report: BMW i3 Price and Specs - $35k, 150HP, 160 mile range
68
COMMENTS

A report out of Car and Driver claims that the the BMW i3, BMW's first electric vehicle, will start at approximately $35,000. The i3's power, range and top speed will be 150hp, 160 miles, and 100mph, respectively.

Even more stats are provided by their "deep inside source in München [Munich]" - luggage room is supposed to be a large-for-its-size 14.1 cubic feet, split between trunk and the under-hood space.

Despite being an all electric vehicle, the BMW i3 will have sporty intentions. It's been confirmed to be RWD and "mid-engined" and has all along been advertised as using extensive use of carbon fiber to keep its weight down while maintaining structural rigidity. It will be the world's first volume production car made of lightweight carbon fiber and is to be built in Leipzig. BMW expects to have the cars produced in "Significant volumes" by 2013, targeting 30,000 annual sales at the get-go.

* The picture above is merely a rendering. See the latest spy photos of the i3 here - http://www.bimmerpost.com/bmwi/

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 05:16 PM   #2
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
 
Greenkirby21's Avatar
 
Drives: C7 Stringray
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Dream Land

Posts: 2,600
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Greenkirby21
wow great price, nissan leaf is similar(a bit lower), but I doubt it will be able to compete with this. great job BMW if it is in the same price range.
__________________
2009 128i Coupe Crimson Red MODS: -Injen Intake-Magnaflow Exhaust-Carbon Fiber Spoiler - Carbon Fiber Grilles - OZ Ultraleggeras - CF Mirrors
Greenkirby21 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #3
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
 
Crimson92's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

Posts: 28,613
iTrader: (3)

ill stick with my mini.
Crimson92 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
Krozi
Deutsche Jung aus Kölle
 
Krozi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFla - Bonita Springs

Posts: 2,702
iTrader: (21)

Wow...biggest pile ever.
__________________

2008 E92 ///M3 Alpine White//Fox Red//6MT//
Florida Bimmer - Join us on FaceBook!
Krozi is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:15 PM   #5
rvladescu
335d
 
rvladescu's Avatar
 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Ottawa

Posts: 182
iTrader: (0)

If it looks like the pic I want one
rvladescu is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:19 PM   #6
Definitive
definitivecars.com
 
Definitive's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 - AW/FR
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So Cal

Posts: 3,595
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Definitive Send a message via MSN to Definitive
Yea, does anyone know if that pic is accurate? Or just some photoshop? This would be a great option as a daily after I buy out my M3!

D
__________________
Definitive is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
samchoi604
Colonel
 
Drives: black on black
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Burnaby, BC

Posts: 2,315
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definitive View Post
Yea, does anyone know if that pic is accurate? Or just some photoshop? This would be a great option as a daily after I buy out my M3!

D
Last sentence states...
Quote:
* The picture above is merely a rendering. See the latest spy photos of the i3 here - http://www.bimmerpost.com/bmwi/
samchoi604 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #8
johnca
Second Lieutenant
 
johnca's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 Slow CSL
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sydney

Posts: 289
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to johnca
city daily drive would be nice
__________________
johnca is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:43 PM   #9
Alchem
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Chicago

Posts: 422
iTrader: (0)

Thats awesome. I want one as a 2nd car! This is the future. I love that BMW is so far ahead of the competition in electric cars.
Alchem is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:48 PM   #10
SoCali E36
OOOOWEEEEE!
 
SoCali E36's Avatar
 
Drives: 1997 E36 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Where the road takes me...

Posts: 3,069
iTrader: (10)

Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit high in price?
__________________
SoCali E36 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
AnalogDan
Private
 
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 99
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E90 View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that's a bit high in price?
Compared to the Volt and Leaf, definitely not. And a BMW vs. a Nissan or Chevy should be a no brainer...
AnalogDan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 07:18 PM   #12
conradb
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: GMT -8

Posts: 432
iTrader: (0)

Overlapping product range? Mini *cough*

Why not just buy a mini?
conradb is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Jblack4083
Captain
 
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC

Posts: 776
iTrader: (0)

That would be a nice daily driver.
Jblack4083 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 07:48 PM   #14
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
 
antzcrashing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenkirby21 View Post
wow great price, nissan leaf is similar(a bit lower), but I doubt it will be able to compete with this. great job BMW if it is in the same price range.
+1 I was fearing 40K. And the range on this thing is impressive too.

I tend to think BMW is swallowing profit margin to enter the "someday-profitable" electric car market. Probably a wise move.



I just hope it looks cool
__________________
antzcrashing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
crackberry
Major
 
crackberry's Avatar
 
Drives: Porsche Carrera GTS (997.2)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: southern california

Posts: 1,003
iTrader: (0)

That is a little pricey for what you get. I just don't see the appeal of all electric cars when hydrogen cars are the way of the future.
crackberry is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:01 PM   #16
gunnerxq
Captain
 
gunnerxq's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 "325i"
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Staten Island and Albany

Posts: 965
iTrader: (0)

thank god everyone is forced to go green... not. If it wasn't for the restricting regulations and timelines BMW wouldn't have to build a car like this. Drill Baby Drill
Any environmentalists want to curse me out?
__________________
Bilstein shocks, eibach pro-kit springs, Remus exhaust, stage 3 intake manifold,Stage 2 AA tune, BMW Short shift kit.
gunnerxq is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:04 PM   #17
bmwdinamo
NEW
 
bmwdinamo's Avatar
 
Drives: RSX TypeS, G35 sedan, X5 4.8
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: NY

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to bmwdinamo
The rendering is way off. Headlights are at level with front wheel arches, not way up there.
bmwdinamo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:17 PM   #18
cuban335i
Brigadier General
 
cuban335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 535i xdrive
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: central NJ

Posts: 3,552
iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackberry View Post
That is a little pricey for what you get. I just don't see the appeal of all electric cars when hydrogen cars are the way of the future.
Because hydrogen cars aren't the way of the future you idiot (I couldn't think of a nicer word to call you, sorry but it's true). And they will never be... The amount of energy per liter of compressed hydrogen that can be extracted is a fraction of other fuels (so you would need huge tanks to hold enough compressed hydrogen to travel just 100 miles), not to mention the danger of having a huge compressed hydrogen tank in your car that could explode. Hydrogen cars are a gimmick. I hate when people say things with no real knowledge.

Also that is not pricey at all... BMW, all electric, carbon fiber body, and on top of that you get a huge Eco tax credit. -_-
__________________
Current:
'13 F10 535i xDrive - lightly modded for now
Previous:
'12 e92 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo - ADV.1 ADV10, Volk TE37SL, OSS, Innotech F1, Arkym, iND
'09 e92 335i Alpine White/Saddle Brown - fully modded

Last edited by cuban335i; 05-16-2011 at 08:23 PM.
cuban335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #19
Taipei-TT
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 X3 2.0D
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Canadian in Taipei

Posts: 642
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
thank god everyone is forced to go green... not. If it wasn't for the restricting regulations and timelines BMW wouldn't have to build a car like this. Drill Baby Drill
Any environmentalists want to curse me out?
Allow me to take a shot!

Electric cars are still good for people like you (and me) who still like a gasoline engine. Here's why:
1. Allow manufacturers to meet emissions targets and offer high consumption, high fun vehicles. I know you will say they are forced to do this. However, you will still benefit if the technology evolves to where cars are truly sustainable. And yes, I agree that this generation of electric cars are not. Electricity still needs to be made, batteries created and disposed of, etc. However, most engineers and business managers rightly point out this is a necessary technological and cultural step forward into a new and unknown technology.

2. Cars with electric motors have better acceleration, and theoretically, could be used for a more balanced car as the technology matures. Tesla hints at this potential, as done the i8 and the Audi e-tron. Are these applications ready to kill off today's refined internal combustion engines? Nope. Will they? I suspect so. So as auto enthusiasts, we should not resist change!

3. Finally, early adopters who wear their green values on their sleeves will buy these cars. Not only will they create a market for them, they will also live through the inevitable teething problems. (Check out the Leaf turtle stories!) You and I are not forced to buy these cars. But one day, we might choose one as the tech gets better!

And on the price, I think that is a pretty sweet price.
Taipei-TT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 08:56 PM   #20
antzcrashing
... can I get a 1M
 
antzcrashing's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miami FL

Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taipei-TT View Post
Allow me to take a shot!

Electric cars are still good for people like you (and me) who still like a gasoline engine. Here's why:
1. Allow manufacturers to meet emissions targets and offer high consumption, high fun vehicles. I know you will say they are forced to do this. However, you will still benefit if the technology evolves to where cars are truly sustainable. And yes, I agree that this generation of electric cars are not. Electricity still needs to be made, batteries created and disposed of, etc. However, most engineers and business managers rightly point out this is a necessary technological and cultural step forward into a new and unknown technology.

2. Cars with electric motors have better acceleration, and theoretically, could be used for a more balanced car as the technology matures. Tesla hints at this potential, as done the i8 and the Audi e-tron. Are these applications ready to kill off today's refined internal combustion engines? Nope. Will they? I suspect so. So as auto enthusiasts, we should not resist change!

3. Finally, early adopters who wear their green values on their sleeves will buy these cars. Not only will they create a market for them, they will also live through the inevitable teething problems. (Check out the Leaf turtle stories!) You and I are not forced to buy these cars. But one day, we might choose one as the tech gets better!

And on the price, I think that is a pretty sweet price.
nice post. I agree 100%.

I would add that while electric drive, though not intrinsically green (often coal is the source), it can be green with solar cell, hydro, or wind generation, try that with an ICB engine...
__________________
antzcrashing is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 09:04 PM   #21
OrangeDeep
Private First Class
 
OrangeDeep's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 535i xdrive
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

This is exciting! 35k seems cheap for what you're getting. Even if the range goes down during the winter months, you would still have enough range for long commutes.
OrangeDeep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2011, 09:27 PM   #22
cmk227
Major
 
cmk227's Avatar
 
Drives: ED on 2014 M6GC this summer
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Irving, TX

Posts: 1,317
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
thank god everyone is forced to go green... not. If it wasn't for the restricting regulations and timelines BMW wouldn't have to build a car like this. Drill Baby Drill
Any environmentalists want to curse me out?
You are my hero. Drill baby drill!
__________________

08 BMW X5 3.0si Space Grey
14 Lexus GX460
Previous M's: 11 BMW M3 JZB ZCP 6MT, 02 BMW M3 Conv 6MT & 02 BMW M3 Coupe 6MT
cmk227 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 AM.




bmw
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST