BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

09-19-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Well it's a 2014 model year and the headlights are both crazing like mad! This is not road rash! But thousands of little fractures in the plastic. Never had a BMW headlight do this.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #2
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Hmmm I recall glancing my headlights a couple days ago, and seeing a crazing of sorts. I forgot to inspect them further. I'll check them out and report back. Your headlights seem to be very noticeable. I don't find this acceptable for a MY14.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #3
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I know right! Totally unexpected for being so new. My 16 year old mini doesn't have any crazing on its lights!

If you wait till dark and turn the lights on its super apparent.

Hard to tell in daylight unless the light is just right.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 10:54 AM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Taking the car into the dealer for headlight replacement. Hopefully they won't give me an issue.

Both headlights where effected.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 02:39 AM   #5
Kiwi
Captain
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M Sports Convertible

I thought after 2 long test drives the i3 lights are very poor compared to my BMW 225xe
      09-27-2016, 07:22 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
I thought after 2 long test drives the i3 lights are very poor compared to my BMW 225xe
Well it depends is the 225 LED or HID? HID throws out more light than LED the lumens on an HID bulb is far greater than an LED, otherwise all said and done the i3 light output is in my opinion just fine and always felt it's on par with my other cars, all of which have HID. The i3 in the end doesn't leave me wanting more light.

Though since your not in the USA, yours could have had the halogen option which depending on reflector style yes the light output could suck, as many have found out even the 3 series with halogen suck bad.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #7
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Taking the car into the dealer for headlight replacement. Hopefully they won't give me an issue.

Both headlights where effected.
Hope you got this addressed under warranty.

As an independent data point, my 2014 headlights don't show any pitting (pics below). Not arguing the validity of your concerns, just observing that not all 2014 headlights appear to be effected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi
Though since your not in the USA, yours could have had the halogen option which depending on reflector style yes the light output could suck, as many have found out even the 3 series with halogen suck bad.
I think this nails it: for some inane (cost?) reason, BMW is selling i3 with non-LED headlights outside of the US. Compared to either Xenons or LEDs, BMW's halogen headlights are downright scary bad. I had halogens on one of the 3-series loaners a few months ago, and they are worthless.

i3's LED low-beams are very good.
I hardly ever used the high beams.

a
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yea still waiting to hear back, looks like mines the first they have had do this and the fact both headlights where affected their scratching their heads.

Before they attributed the crazing to excess heat from halogen headlights and the crazing was located in the hot spots, on my headlight it travels the full headlight all the way around to the back of it. this is the first failure they have had with LED so their waiting to hear back from BMW.

Regardless it's a failure of the material and should be covered. I'm not worried. But they have surprised me before.
Appreciate 0