04-18-2016, 12:28 AM   #23
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post
BEV's, although less common, have also had engine mount failures.
Mine broke February 2015, delivered February 2014. BEV. Yes, it has been airborne
Appreciate 1
      04-19-2016, 09:52 AM   #24
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea had the recall done, the new software actually slows the car down a bit from takeoff to reduce the stress on the engine mounts. Hence the breakage issue.

It's very slight.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 12:33 AM   #25
Rapcat
Private
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i8_i3 View Post
My dealer advised that i3's require a bolt changed in the motor mountings plus software change.

It appears that if an i3 becomes airborne and under power the wheels spin up and on landing this puts stress on the motor mountings. I think the software change is probably to restrict the spin up of the wheels in such a situation.

It is probably a San Francisco owner doing a Steve McQueen stunt that found the weakness
It was me. Mine broke twice on my i3. Left me stranded twice. Roadside assistance came out in 6 hours and 4 hours respectively each time. Not fun. The solution was to program the DSC to pause longer before allowing full throttle back on. And to also reduce the torque on start off. Quite dangerous if your going over an intersection and the DSC essentially stops you mid intersection because one of your wheels went over a small crack or bump. I made them buy the car back. Too dangerous to drive that way and not fun when they reprogram your car and say that's the fix to having weak bolts.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #26
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapcat
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_i8_i3 View Post
My dealer advised that i3's require a bolt changed in the motor mountings plus software change.

It appears that if an i3 becomes airborne and under power the wheels spin up and on landing this puts stress on the motor mountings. I think the software change is probably to restrict the spin up of the wheels in such a situation.

It is probably a San Francisco owner doing a Steve McQueen stunt that found the weakness
It was me. Mine broke twice on my i3. Left me stranded twice. Roadside assistance came out in 6 hours and 4 hours respectively each time. Not fun. The solution was to program the DSC to pause longer before allowing full throttle back on. And to also reduce the torque on start off. Quite dangerous if your going over an intersection and the DSC essentially stops you mid intersection because one of your wheels went over a small crack or bump. I made them buy the car back. Too dangerous to drive that way and not fun when they reprogram your car and say that's the fix to having weak bolts.
That's interesting, I've had the software change but have leaped over the jump in the train tracks and speed through bumpy roads and never had DSC intervene, maybe yours was extra touchy. I had the 20" sport tires though maybe that made a difference. Hmmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2016, 03:45 AM   #27
langstro
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Had the engine mount bolts replaced a couple of weekends ago and software updated. Didn't notice any change in performance.
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #28
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by langstro
Had the engine mount bolts replaced a couple of weekends ago and software updated. Didn't notice any change in performance.
Correct it's very slight and only at takeoff, the dealer showed me BMW's update notes and it adapts the torque curve slightly to reduce the impact from takeoff slightly. So even though the take off is technically slower you won't notice the difference because it's very small, but enough to make a difference on the bolts I guess.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2016, 05:37 PM   #29
mmccking
Rep
Drives: Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Correct it's very slight and only at takeoff, the dealer showed me BMW's update notes and it adapts the torque curve slightly to reduce the impact from takeoff slightly. So even though the take off is technically slower you won't notice the difference because it's very small, but enough to make a difference on the bolts I guess.
I noticed. Not happy about it. It also changes the the one-foot breaking behavior, I hear the brake pads catching sometimes.
Appreciate 1
      10-03-2016, 07:27 PM   #30
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmccking
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I noticed. Not happy about it. It also changes the the one-foot breaking behavior, I hear the brake pads catching sometimes.
Yea I know sucks! And by "not notice". That's what they tell me but sucks either way you look at it.

Like the VW recall many won't want their cars afterwards due to the new performance will possibly make them turtle slow!

At least from what I heard. Nothing based from fact.
Appreciate 0