BMW i3 Forums BMW i3 General Discussion

10-13-2016, 07:01 PM   #1
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 i3S REx

Garage List
So who's dumping their i3's for the new 5 series?

I won't right away. I wish they would launch with the e version but I'm sure it won't be too far behind. My ideal car would be a full electric 5 series but we all know that's not happening this time around. Not holding my breath for the i5 if pricing turns out anywhere near that projected 120k.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 12:52 AM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
Rep
Drives: Test Vehicles

Those cars do not even seem like they would be marketed towards the same people.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2016, 11:06 AM   #3
DRTMGRT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3M

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor
I won't right away. I wish they would launch with the e version but I'm sure it won't be too far behind. My ideal car would be a full electric 5 series but we all know that's not happening this time around. Not holding my breath for the i5 if pricing turns out anywhere near that projected 120k.
I would definitely consider it for the 530e. I've been following the g30's progress. I'm happy with the design. I can't wait to build one out on the configurator, so I can ditch the blue grille slats.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2016, 05:50 PM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Those cars do not even seem like they would be marketed towards the same people.
So who says people only drive one style of car ? I have both fuel efficient cars and high performance cars and a giant SUV ! I love all forms of autos. The i3 and new 5 series are similarly priced so that's not an issue !

Just don't why if I have an i3 why a new 5 series wouldn't be an option.

For me it was the opposite. Was looking at a 5er and saw the i3 and after the drive and sitting in the interior I changed my mind and bought the i3 instead. Just loved the future forward design language.
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2016, 08:27 PM   #5
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
So who says people only drive one style of car ? I have both fuel efficient cars and high performance cars and a giant SUV ! I love all forms of autos. The i3 and new 5 series are similarly priced so that's not an issue !

For me it was the opposite. Was looking at a 5er and saw the i3 and after the drive and sitting in the interior I changed my mind and bought the i3 instead. Just loved the future forward design language.
I guess a better way to phrase my comment would be that I could more likely see someone owning both or multiple vehicle for different occasions, than be looking at getting either an i3 or G30. However, people are drawn towards various vehicles and packages for their own reasons. As such, I should not overgeneralize.

Personally, I have owned a number of 5's, and was not in the market for an i3 when I picked up my last.

On one hand, I think BMW is to an extent over-saturating the market with their various lines. At the same time, I also believe more choices can be a good thing.

I think the i3 and i8 are interesting looking vehicles. And, I do like what the i3 has done for the brand. I do not like all vehicles as much as you as well as I am very BMW biased. Though, I also like my xdrive40e. I was further excited to see the 740e. I will still have to see how the 530e drives, but admittedly was questioning whether I would miss the extra hp (compared to my current 535).

There will be plenty of time to figure that out and see what other G3x's are released initially along with the LCI's. I will not be truly in the market for another few years.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #6
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have an i3 and 550. I like them both for different reasons. With my i3, I try to get the best mi/kwh rating when I drive. With my 550, I don't care, and generally average about 15MPG (or less). I figure the two cars balance each other out.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:00 PM   #7
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
I had an F10 and F33 before leasing the I01. Was at a dealership getting ready to finalize a European delivery of another F10 when I saw and leased my i3. I would think there's a pretty good overlap of early BMW adopters and enthusiast here.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 02:03 PM   #8
TimeFor
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I have an i3 and 550. I like them both for different reasons. With my i3, I try to get the best mi/kwh rating when I drive. With my 550, I don't care, and generally average about 15MPG (or less). I figure the two cars balance each other out.
I have the i3 (999.9mpg) and a 5.7L iForce V8 Tundra 4x4 (12.8mpg avg)

I know the pain too but it all averages out I guess.

Last edited by TimeFor; 10-20-2016 at 03:46 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2016, 06:11 PM   #9
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
I had an F10 and F33 before leasing the I01. Was at a dealership getting ready to finalize a European delivery of another F10 when I saw and leased my i3. I would think there's a pretty good overlap of early BMW adopters and enthusiast here.
Clearly BMW should not hire me for their marketing team, because I obviously am too ridged in my desire to carve out mutually-exclusive target audiences.

I have driven various BMW's for a while now and for what I was looking changed over time. When I picked up my last two vehicles in January, I did consider a few different options. But, it came down to whether I wanted to possibly pick up an F82 or grab another F10 for one as well as did I want to take a deal on the last model year of the LCI F01, jump in a new G12, or switch to the Xdrive40e for the other car. I figured unless I took the M4 to the track, I would be paying the added costs (lease/ gas) without really having appreciating the performance gains in my congested city so I stuck with the F10 (I enjoy the 300+ HP but do not need even the additional gains for a V8, let alone a real M). If the 740e had been an option at the time, I may have gone that route with appreciation for both the charging convenience and emissions benefits; however, I am disappointed with the lack of fold-down rear seats in the 7. I ended up diversifying my vehicles and saving money on an SUV that still maintains a sense of comfort and luxury, while providing improved mpg's & emissions, transport capability benefits, and raised visibility.

Now, I understand that last paragraph was quite a tangent. But, the purpose, was to explain my choices in more details to hopefully encourage others, albeit maybe more focused on the OP's original question and gain more insight into not just whether everyone is or has switched, but why.

Is it an evolution of needs drawing individuals to one vehicle or another at a specific moment in their lives or diverse love for, on the surface or at first glance, owning multiple vehicles that may appear rather disparate? What I am curious about is what in particular, gravitated individuals to consider along with or not ultimately purchase a particular vehicle (ie looks, drive, fuel efficiency, capacity, etc). The MSRP, to me, of a G030 and i001, do not seem that close and incentives, at least at first, will not be that great for a new model.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2016, 07:15 PM   #10
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

It was seeing something new finally and something different for me. The drive was fun and the lightness of the car and feeling like I can throw it into corners and drive spirited was intoxicating !

No noise meant you can drive and have fun and the cops don't pay you notice.

Don't know just felt fresh, and it was at a great time in my life to try something new.

We're a car family and love automobiles, I design them for a living so for us one or two cars won't do. I've been averaging a car a year for the past 6 years and now with the i3 I'm going to sit for a while. It changed a lot of my prior thoughts on the electric car in general and now looking to maybe add an i8 to the list in a few years.

I buy cars basically off emotion and how they make me feel, couldn't dream of buying a car just for essentials as their to much money to dump on something that doesn't drive you.

Once had a lotus as a daily driver, friends wouldn't go to lunch with me cause they couldn't get out of the car lol but hey I loved it regardless.

Every time I walk out and see the i3 I appreciate that nothing comes close to it looks wise and in some ways it feels exotic because nobody has them, or at least their not everywhere so it has a little "oh look at that" value. I don't really like having a car that is at every stop light.

It finally felt like I was driving something from the future.

Looks are subjective so some will hate it others will love it but it really feels to hit the BMW crowd in the gut and they hate it but when I'm out it draws people to check it out and especially the younger crowd.
Appreciate 1
Almaretto2374.00
      10-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #11
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFor View Post
[...]My ideal car would be a full electric 5 series but we all know that's not happening this time around. Not holding my breath for the i5 if pricing turns out anywhere near that projected 120k.

Agreed.

I just don't think one would be a natural replacement for the other, which may have been Almaretto's point (or not).

I am also in the camp of "different tools for different jobs", with i3 sharing garage space with an M3 and an Odyssey. M3 is basically the same size as last generation 5er.

As far as the X5 goes, it's a heavier 5-series with higher CG and smaller interior space. The heavier part would render it a poor candidate for an EV platform, but these days, BMW is investing more into hybrids than pure EVs.

I fully expect the entire X-series lineup to get X-e derivatives that give token electric range (10-20 miles). The added e-range wont be a financially attractive proposal nor will it provide a practically useful EV range, but it will allow buyers to wave the "green" flag with minimum inconvenience.

Whatever works.

a
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Agreed.

I just don't think one would be a natural replacement for the other, which may have been Almaretto's point (or not).

I am also in the camp of "different tools for different jobs", with i3 sharing garage space with an M3 and an Odyssey. M3 is basically the same size as last generation 5er.
It was.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #13
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

Wife loves her i3 and I can't argue. Cost literally nothing to operate and has the performance that she likes (she likes to accelerate like a bat out of hell lol)
Appreciate 0