06-23-2016, 12:39 PM   #23
PurplePeril
Rep
Drives: i8 & 458 Italia

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishpond
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurplePeril View Post
Just as by way of an update, my dealer has replaced the windscreen (under warranty) and done a great job - you wouldn't know they'd been in the car except for the fact that the screen is no longer cracked. Had an i3 loaner for the day too and thought that was great - just can't understand why BMW didn't fit adaptive cruise or enable wing mirror drop on selecting reverse on the i8?!
Passenger wing mirror drop is present on UK i8s. You just have to have the mirror selector slider switch set to drivers side mirrow. When you go into reverse, the passenger mirror will tilt downwards.
Result! Thanks for that
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #24
mystopolis
Spectre
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw i8 white

I just got done replacing my windshield of my i8 after a rock on the highway. I had the same issue with bmw service not wanting to do the repair in a timely fashion and had to argue with them to get it done. While my insurance covered the cost, the price was $2,800 total. Wish bwm would up their game with service, especially for their top vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:28 PM   #25
ijl_bitsa
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Ionic Silver i8

This is pretty worrying...
The Monocoque of this car must me prone to some degree of twist and flex.
I've heard some weird creaks and noises from my i8 when going slowly over driveways at an angle. I'm hoping I don't get any cracks before BMW get wise and figures out this is their problem ! Class action suit in the future maybe ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 11:56 PM   #26
Twitch Massacre
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8

Garage List
I12 BMW i8  [0.00]
F13 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijl_bitsa
I've heard some weird creaks and noises from my i8 when going slowly over driveways at an angle. I'm hoping I don't get any cracks before BMW get wise and figures out this is their problem ! Class action suit in the future maybe ?
I hear you on the weird cracks when going over obstacles at an angle. My CFRP tub has made noises at times that have led me to think the car just snapped in half right from underneath me.
Coming Soon:
2016 BMW M4 GTS De-Winged and Bagged on 22s
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2016, 02:59 AM   #27
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ijl_bitsa View Post
Wow - straight to law suit?

My creaks were fixed by realigning the door locks.

Those pictures of windscreen cracks on here all seem to be in a similar area. Maybe a manufacturing glitch, possibly with the way the mirror / camera assembly got attached on individual cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2016, 11:24 PM   #28
zagaboo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8 Roadster

No cracks, but had windscreen replaced due to large chip. Was done through insurance by Autoglass. Must say it took a while to get the glass and I was a bit nervous about what kind of job they would do, but they were absolutely brilliant. Technicians knew everything they needed to do, including how to correctly remove roof trim, bonnet, mark door bolts for realignment, etc. Even went so far as to explain everything for me. Brilliant job!
Appreciate 1
      09-11-2016, 01:37 PM   #29
Kayode
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BWM I8

Question Windshield Cracks on BMW i8

I went into my garage on a hot day last week to get my BWM i8 and found a long curved horizontal crack on the driver's side of the front windshield. There was nothing wrong with the windshield when I parked the car the previous day - no scratches, no chips, and nothing had hit the windshield. Every day the crack spreads more and more. The dealership has said that this is not covered under warranty and would cost about $2,600 to replace.

Has anyone in the U.S. had their windshield replaced under warranty or is anyone aware of a recall for this problem? Does anyone knows of a corporate BMW phone number and/or address for complaints about this problem?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 04:21 PM   #30
phoenixbmwlife
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i & G30 540i

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zagaboo
No cracks, but had windscreen replaced due to large chip. Was done through insurance by Autoglass. Must say it took a while to get the glass and I was a bit nervous about what kind of job they would do, but they were absolutely brilliant. Technicians knew everything they needed to do, including how to correctly remove roof trim, bonnet, mark door bolts for realignment, etc. Even went so far as to explain everything for me. Brilliant job!
Did your premium raise as a result of it? In Florida the law is the insurance will cover all repairs to the windscreen and it doesn't raise your premium. What I'm trying to find out is for the i8 (since it's such an expensive repair,) will the insurance company raise your premium because of it?

Follow me on Insta

https://www.instagram.com/bmwm_life_/
https://www.instagram.com/autogiftua/
https://www.instagram.com/phoenixbmwlife/
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2016, 07:04 PM   #31
Cali Singh
Rep

I just got mine replaced from my insurance company. The 3rd party technician noted in the invoice that the damage was not due to outside influence and was indeed stress cracks which started spidering out from the rear view camera region. BMW dealership refused all this and made a false claim stating that it was indeed a rock chip, when their was no such damage. I've tried to reach out to BMW USA and they said their isn't anything they could do about this.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2016, 02:40 PM   #32
JasH
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: McLaren & Ferrari & i8 & i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Singh View Post
I've tried to reach out to BMW USA and they said their isn't anything they could do about this.
Note sure the USA, but if that happened here I would just take BMW to small claims court. You seem to have enough evidence to succeed.

To be fair though, my experiences with BMW have been excellent in the UK. Exemplary customer service.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 05:38 PM   #33
Surreyi8
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i8

Due to get my i8 back tomorrow after its second stress crack in 4 months. Will see what BMW say about payment!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2016, 01:32 AM   #34
Surreyi8
United Kingdom
Rep

So picked up my i8 last night and we are in love again.. I am yet to conclude with the dealer whether the replacement screen and other work was done under warranty or not. They have asked BMW UK to confirm it is covered so fingers crossed I won't have to have an argument.

Had an i3 for 2 weeks whilst the i8 was off and that's a great car too!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 07:56 AM   #35
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreyi8 View Post
Love my i8 but recently I woke to find the windshield cracked. I cannot remember any impacts and none were evident. The crack starts in the middle above the rear view mirror and radiates downwards for 9 inches and then across both sides for 12 inches. Looks like a stress crack to me. BMW say they have never heard of anything like that occurring and its going to cost me a lot to get them to repair.

Has anyone else had this happen or heard of this happening?
I just had the same thing happen to me this morning. Everything was fine until I went to my garage seeing the same cracks as everyone else had posted. No Rock chips st all and it stems from the center and spreads in 2 directions outward from the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 01:28 PM   #36
Aye-eight
Major
Switzerland
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngl1145 View Post
I just had the same thing happen to me this morning. Everything was fine until I went to my garage seeing the same cracks as everyone else had posted. No Rock chips st all and it stems from the center and spreads in 2 directions outward from the rear view mirror.
Hm. There seem to be a few people where this has happened in the shop. Could it have something to do with how they lift the car? It shouldn't - unless they use the wrong spots to place the lift arms.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2016, 02:18 PM   #37
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Clearly a worrisome glitch that BMW must cover under warranty and provide a solution ASAP.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 07:33 PM   #38
ngl1145
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Window cracking

I've attached a few pictures of the crack on my front windshield. It looks very similar to how some of the other cracked windshields looked on this post. It stems from the center of the windshield and separates and goes to the left and right. I took the car to BMW in Warwick, RI. They took pictures and are submitting the photos to BMW.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-05-2019, 11:58 AM   #39
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Just happened to me May 4, 2019 on my 2015 BMW i8 with 11500 miles. Emailing the dealership now, and including this thread's info.

Name:  59276218_10217497449883492_3169118486383296512_o.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  109.8 KB
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #40
patsgarageonline
patsgarageonline.com
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddyMac View Post
Just happened to me May 4, 2019 on my 2015 BMW i8 with 11500 miles. Emailing the dealership now, and including this thread's info.

Attachment 2046999
My dealer agreed to cover it under warranty, which is a huge relief. They could find no evidence of an impact and the links to this forum were likely good evidence that the i8's crack on their own. Thanks to everyone for posting.
Appreciate 0